Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Bike Rack for IS300h

On 5/23/2024 at 11:07 PM, Stever750 said:

Found some used Thule off a 2015 IS300h, will they fit a 2018 model?

Hey @Stever750 i have a roof and bike carrier fitted on mines for 6 months now:

I'll post a photo of the car in 15mins.

On 5/23/2024 at 10:28 AM, Stever750 said:

The Cruz bars are noisy though, so would prefer not to use them; I've owned them before for a different car....

Already have a search setup on ebay, nothing there suitable at the moment.

Strange, I have these on the CT and they are silent. No noise at all.

3 hours ago, Moleman said:

Strange, I have these on the CT and they are silent. No noise at all.

Different aero dynamics. I've not had any issues with the Yakima and it's a far superior product to the Cruz bars.

7 hours ago, agent_dess said:

Different aero dynamics. I've not had any issues with the Yakima and it's a far superior product to the Cruz bars.

Great, but the poster had not tried the Cruz bars on his car, they just decided they were going to be noisy.

From your experience and mine, how can you know without trying? As you said different aero dynamics!

33 minutes ago, Moleman said:

Great, but the poster had not tried the Cruz bars on his car, they just decided they were going to be noisy.

From your experience and mine, how can you know without trying? As you said different aero dynamics!

No that's not quite true. I owned a pair on a Honda Accord, and my experience with them was, they were noisy and a bit flimsy. I've used Yakima bars and Thule bars since, and they were quieter and felt much better built. The Cruz bike carrier has long since disintegrated, whereas my Thule ones are still going strong. So, the previous experience , plus agent_dess's experience put me off considering them again, which seems a pretty logical process. 

In any case, I found and bought a set of Thule bars used from eBay, so solution found!

• Like 1

What's not true!

the poster had not tried the Cruz bars on his car - the IS 300h, the point of the discussion.

I owned a pair on a Honda Accord

True = accurate or exact.

15 minutes ago, Moleman said:

What's not true!

the poster had not tried the Cruz bars on his car - the IS 300h, the point of the discussion.

I owned a pair on a Honda Accord

True = accurate or exact.

Jesus, give it a break. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stever750 said:

Jesus, give it a break. 

Of course. Clearly your untested opinion is the only one allowed.

😁

I was going to add th Cruz bike carrier are already rusting despite only been on the car since December, not impressed with them but due to length of my bike it will we the only option I could opt for.

The Cruz roof bar were defo noisy even at 50-60mph.

7 hours ago, Moleman said:

I initially bought the Cruz aero bars, spent 2hrs on the phone with roof box tech support and ultimately decided to replace them for the Yakima and not had issues since.

Also fail to see the comparison between the CT and The IS... Cars are different shapes, height and width. 

The way the air flows over the cars is going or be different.

What might work well for you on the CT doesn't necessarily mean it's going to fit perfectly on the IS.

So from my perspective I have tired the Cruz and Yakima and found the Yakima to be the clear winner for the IS.

4 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

I initially bought the Cruz aero bars, spent 2hrs on the phone with roof box tech support and ultimately decided to replace them for the Yakima and not had issues since.

I suspect the other poster was confusing the different aero profile of the bar with aero profile of the car for the cause of the noise. If they're noisy on an accord they're probably noisy on a lexus as you experienced, which was my assumptions. I had Yakima bars on a previous octavia estate and I thought they were as good in every way as the Thule bars on my mk3 hatch but at a more competitive price. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lol we should get this topic closed 😊

For future I would only consider Yakima or Thule.

Gonna need to attend to the rust forming on the Cruz bike carrier. Btw Cruz response was take them off when not in use to avoid exposing to the elements 😬 like WTF... Also they started rusting after 3 months. But there cheap and cheerful and do the job.. for now!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, agent_dess said:

Also fail to see the comparison between the CT and The IS... Cars are different shapes, height and width. 

The way the air flows over the cars is going or be different.

What might work well for you on the CT doesn't necessarily mean it's going to fit perfectly on the IS.

So from my perspective I have tired the Cruz and Yakima and found the Yakima to be the clear winner for the IS.

I get that, you tried both and went with the best. Makes sense.

• Like 1

Just fitted the thule bars I bought used, and came off an 18 plate 300h just like mine. So all set up and straightforward to fit. Front bar went on in a couple of minutes, but the rear a right pita. Turns out that the locating hole for the pin on the shoe plate is recessed too far on the one side, so the only way I could fit it was to bend the foot out a bit on my vice. The pin now sits in the slot but only about halfway because of the angle of the (non) alignment, and the locking plastic cover doesn't fit neatly as the shoe is slightly bent. I'm really surprised to find this, I wouldn't expect it on a cheap French car let alone a premium Japanese saloon, but there you go. 

15 hours ago, Stever750 said:

Just fitted the thule bars I bought used, and came off an 18 plate 300h just like mine. So all set up and straightforward to fit. Front bar went on in a couple of minutes, but the rear a right pita. Turns out that the locating hole for the pin on the shoe plate is recessed too far on the one side, so the only way I could fit it was to bend the foot out a bit on my vice. The pin now sits in the slot but only about halfway because of the angle of the (non) alignment, and the locking plastic cover doesn't fit neatly as the shoe is slightly bent. I'm really surprised to find this, I wouldn't expect it on a cheap French car let alone a premium Japanese saloon, but there you go. 

Ahhh you had the same issue i had with Cruz aerobars... the driver side foot pin would not align with the hole!  I know its shocking for Lexus to do that, some lazy git a the factory was being dozy!  I remedied the issue by using a dremel to align the foot pin then touched up the edges using touch up paint and finally using screw plug painted in black..... final result blended in with the factory hole... Shame i had to send the Crux bar back because the Yakima brackets don't use the hole and the positioning is different.  Here is the a post i made which shows the pictures of the issue and how i remedied the hole:

But taking the bracket to a vice to bend it was not a good idea 😬

3 minutes ago, agent_dess said:

Ahhh you had the same issue i had with Cruz aerobars... the driver side foot pin would not align with the hole!  I know its shocking for Lexus to do that, some lazy git a the factory was being dozy!  I remedied the issue by using a dremel to align the foot pin then touched up the edges using touch up paint and finally using screw plug painted in black..... final result blended in with the factory hole... Shame i had to send the Crux bar back because the Yakima brackets don't use the hole and the positioning is different.  Here is the a post i made which shows the pictures of the issue and how i remedied the hole:

But taking the bracket to a vice to bend it was not a good idea 😬

Interesting. I wasn't about to start re-positioning the hole so remoulding the roof rack was a better option. It only required a couple of mm of deformation so won't have had any deleterious effects on it's mechanical strength, juts looks a bit scruffy now.

8 minutes ago, Stever750 said:

Interesting. I wasn't about to start re-positioning the hole so remoulding the roof rack was a better option. It only required a couple of mm of deformation so won't have had any deleterious effects on it's mechanical strength, juts looks a bit scruffy now.

Adjusting the hole on the door frame was pretty straightforward and the finished result you cannot even tell the hole was modified

• Like 1

Ah well, pity I hadn't seen your post, but I also don't have the tools around me to do it, so would have tried my bodger method anyway!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links