Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

RX/UX Models CAN BUS Theft - Please be aware

I posted this on another forum but please be aware that the latest RX450h models (mine was 2018 Sport CVT) have a massive vulnerability. They can be stolen in under 45secs, they stole mine in 44!

This is not a relay theft but known (as I discovered after the event) as  CAN BUS theft. Basically the thieves punch a hole above your front left wheel arch to access a cable that connects the the headlight to the controlling computer, connect their own computer and start the car. Mine was stolen at 8.43pm on a weekday night in a residential street, took 44secs from approaching the car to driving off. My keys were over 100m from the theft in a Faraday pouch and I had CCTV, unfortunately not clear enough to see their faces, showing what they were doing.

Lexus know about this vulnerability but neither tell customers or recall the cars to fix the problem (as the latter would create a liabliity and allow customers like me to recover thier loss ie excess on insurance etc). For example if you insure your RX through Lexus they offer a second immobiliser to counter this vulnerablity (albeit your car will have a hole in the front wheel arch). But in the UK as a customer your 'contract' is with the seller of the car, even if it is a main dealer, not the manufacturer unless they recall. This was confirmed by the team at Which Legal who said unless the dealer has deliberately misled you about this vulnerability then you have no potential case to recover your loss.

Currently a steering wheel lock may deter the thieves (as if it is a good one will add a couple of minutes to the theft), a second immobilser will mean you dont lose the car but it will still be damaged. But the police confirmed that most of the London thefts are a professional gang, any car stolen is highly unlikely to be recovered and that 'a lot' of Lexus RX and UX are being stolen up to 10 in one night.

It was widely reported up to 5 years ago when the most stolen cars in the London area included Land Rovers, Range Rovers and the Lexus RX450h.  The same vulnerabilities are still present as when a manufacturer combats one type of theft by upping security, the professional thieves always find a way around it....eventually.

Best advice is don't make it easy for them. A steering lock has been mentioned but you will probably need more in vulnerable areas, so a wheel clamp adds another layer of security.  These thieves won't want to spend more than 2 minutes trying the steal any vehicle unless it is well out of sight, so adding visible deterrents is usually a good way of making them think twice or not bothering.

I remember when spates of Peugot sports hatchbacks were being stolen some years ago, Peugot proudly announced the addition of "thief proof" mobilisers on one of their Rallye or GTi models.  It was parked outside a showroon.  The first week it was on show, thieves stole it within 2 minutes by working our where the wiring was, and simply plugged their own pre programmed box of tricks into the loom to disarm it and drove it off the forecourt.

• 1 year later...

last Sunday night, the vermins tried unsuccessfully , to steal my lexus RX50h, from my drive.

They managed to undo the wheel arch cover and disconect the CANBUS .

My tracker must have set off  the alarm, and the cowards were seen running away on their electric scooter.

A group of my neighbours chased them, but they managed to escape.

We will get them next time.

To deter them

fit an extra immobiliser or a tracker/immobiliser--METATRACK

Steering wheel lock

A dash cam

Keep requesting Lexus UK to find a solution

All the best

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links