Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Call me tight but,

13 hours ago, Womble72 said:

I think the road tax of 2017 was to stop the amount of VED free cars being sold and not paying tax (the wife has a 2015 Auris hybrid and it’s £0 VED)…… at 98k she’s running fine and will continue until she’s completely knackered)……. Over 80% of cars are HP or PCP purchases and keep the car industry turning over, the stealth tax was aimed at reducing the amount of cars sold in the higher bracket, I honestly think it was a bit of a “give back” to those who actually appreciate cars and own them…… obviously only my opinion 

We run a Yaris Hybrid and have since 2012 as you say zero road tax and the car is now approaching 90K trouble free miles. We are debating buying a new Yaris, I keep hinting about the GR but it's not her sort of thing plus we only use it for shopping.

• Like 1

A small update on replacing the Yaris, it would appear our wonderful Government have decided to screw you by placing a £145 road tax on the new Yaris models. We immediately decided sod that so we will run our current Yaris for as long as we can. No point replacing something that is working fine.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

A small update on replacing the Yaris, it would appear our wonderful Government have decided to screw you by placing a £145 road tax on the new Yaris models. We immediately decided sod that so we will run our current Yaris for as long as we can. No point replacing something that is working fine.

My sentiments exactly!……. I’ll be putting a new hybrid system in before it gets changed 😂…… and at 98k it’s running like it always has. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Just now, Womble72 said:

My sentiments exactly!……. I’ll be putting a new hybrid system in before it gets changed 😂…… and at 98k it’s running like it always has. 👍🏻

Hybrid system has 15yr warranty now, millage irrespective!…… £25 health check yearly.

48 minutes ago, Womble72 said:

Hybrid system has 15yr warranty now, millage irrespective!…… £25 health check yearly.

Didn't realise that and it's good to know, the wife always has it serviced at our local Toyota garage anyhow. Surprised me that none of the Yaris range has heated seats as standard considering who buys them I'd have thought it an essential item.

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Yes that changed in March 2017.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Honestly I don't see anything wrong in a road tax of £ 145 on a car which costs over 60,000 euros (the GR). I actually think it should be more than £ 145. In Ireland it costs 600 euros. 

20 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Honestly I don't see anything wrong in a road tax of £ 145 on a car which costs over 60,000 euros (the GR). I actually think it should be more than £ 145. In Ireland it costs 600 euros. 

I agree it seems very unfair in Ireland.It's just a bad system. An additional figure on petrol seems to be a better idea but again knowing how greedy Governments are over anything to do with the motorists I guess even that could and would be exploited

If you consider that a brand new RX450H which costs 65-70,000 euros only pays 280 euros road tax and my 2008 GS450H which is worth 6-7,000 euros pays 790 euros in motor tax. And it is even better than a 2007 GS450H which pays 1,809 euros! It is just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, serbarry said:

If you consider that a brand new RX450H which costs 65-70,000 euros only pays 280 euros road tax and my 2008 GS450H which is worth 6-7,000 euros pays 790 euros in motor tax. And it is even better than a 2007 GS450H which pays 1,809 euros! It is just ridiculous. 

In fairness, a brand new RX450H has a 42 mile EV range, depending where you live that means it can make the commute to/from work or the shopping run without consuming any fuel.  Personally though I would prefer to see it have a £15 VED and the GS450H a VED priced more sensible.

Hell, TBH I'd like to see them just retire VED put a per litre pollution tax applied to fuel (as there is actually correlation between the amount of fuel burned and pollution emitted).

15 hours ago, ubersonic said:

In fairness, a brand new RX450H has a 42 mile EV range, depending where you live that means it can make the commute to/from work or the shopping run without consuming any fuel.  Personally though I would prefer to see it have a £15 VED and the GS450H a VED priced more sensible.

Hell, TBH I'd like to see them just retire VED put a per litre pollution tax applied to fuel (as there is actually correlation between the amount of fuel burned and pollution emitted).

I did not mean the new plug in RX450H (even though my apologies as I wrote brand new) but the hybrid version like these below:

https://www.carzone.ie/search?make=Lexus&model=RX450H&minYear=2018 (181)&page=2

I personally think that the road tax should not be based only on the emissions but also on the value of the car. I don't think it is fair that a 2004 Prius worth 1,000 euros pays 413 euros in road tax and a 2022 RX450H which costs 82,900 euros (the second in the list) pays only 280 euros in road tax. Could a 1.5cc Prius pollute more than a 3.5cc Lexus? Could a 2006 GS450H pollute so much more than a 2022 RX450H to justify 1,809 euros in motor tax (when the car is maybe worth 5,000 euros) against 280 euros of the RX?   

But I agree with you they should just abolish the road tax and spread the costs by increasing the price per litre of fuel accordingly so the more one uses the car, the more pollutes and the more pays. 

I decided to tax the RCF this morning as I thought it might go up in the budget. Although my car wasn't registered until 31/5/2017 the tax is £165 for the year so decided to go ahead. I had planned to hold out until May but it would appear there is no need.

Think I might just go out and waste some petrol today.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links