Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

PHEV emit 3x more Co2 than manufacturers claim.

Mr Vlad

Yes, and all not very smart people believe that the batteries are not losing power when they are in a car, but when in computers and phones they do.

Most people believe what they want to believe and bless them. Believe in Facebook and Twitter and all that is written in these time-wasting anti-social forums.

Unfortunately, quite a lot in this forum accept that they are being lied to, but what is to expect?

This is good example of something we touched on on another thread - people do not understand what they buying, they do no understand the terms and then they are shocked and surprised when what they wrongly believed to be true isn't true. 

PHEVs are really the simplest to explain, the MPG is not based on "real" MPG, not even close to real MPG expectations, it is based on WLTP... I am sorry but that is just stupid if somebody comes to BMW dealer looks at 330e sticker and realistically believes they are getting 134MPG. Well I guess, it is not as much stupid as much it is NOT BMW fault. It is fault of our government and our agencies that created this unrealistic way of comparing cars fuel consumption and to be honest that we even use MPG which is quite stupid measurement in itself.

Key point here being that within WLTP test BMW can run mostly on it's Battery and even in real life this probably stands true if your return journey is 30 Miles (remember "average" journey)... I reckon you can do even better than 134MPG... considering that 24 out of 30 miles you in theory can do on electricity and how much fuel will you consume in 6 miles 0.5L maybe? (that works out as 1.55L/100km or 156MPG). But that is what needs to be very clear - you have to stick to this sort of 20, 30 or 40 miles journeys. If you doing anything other than 30 miles... it is basically 2L petrol engine and 30-40MPG is about what one would expect. It probably still makes sense for up-to 60 miles per day as almost half of journey you using nothing, you can regenerate some electricity when braking sometimes and in ideal situation you have maybe 30 miles worth of "free" range and 30 miles at 35MPG... ending-up with something like 70MPG average... which is still better than diesel. However for anything beyond this range it will be just normal petrol car. 

Same thing about CO2 - the whatever ridiculous 49g CO2 it claims is not wrong, it is true based on the flawed testing methodology, so don't blame BMW, they not cheating, it is not diesel gate, blame people who came up with that methodology, but indeed for whatever length of the test I am sure BMW actually managed the 49g, because it must have been idling all the time. 

The only part where I agree with video is that due to flawed taxation policy people are pushed away from more economical and cleaner cars, into using these PHEVs which in their use case (say 300 miles a day driving) are worse cars, but they have no option because those are the only cars available. And it is not like you just have to pay more tax... no you are not allowed to take any other car at all. I was in exactly same situation in my previous work - I believe at the time only cars below 75g CO2 were allowed, so no Lexus cars were an option, and all the options were either BEVs or PHEVs... I honestly was considering 530e for quite a long time and on my journey it would have worked perfectly (~18 miles each way, so I would have barely used any petrol at all). In my case the problem was that I could not charge at home and it automatically killed this option for me. But again... it wasn't like cheaper on BIK, it was simply not allowed to choose any car above 75g CO2... end of story... and whose fault it is? Not BMW... it is our government which created such toxic and flawed system. BMW looked at what is required for them and created the car which complies, as such 330e is not a product of BMW, it is a product of our stupid taxation system.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links