Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

My First Lexus

Skinnyman

Hi All

I just shook hands on a 2018 RC300h so thought it might be a good idea to introduce myself here and prepare you all for the inevitable onslaught of dumb questions. 😁

I’m coming out of a 71-plate Volvo V90 and a small part of me is wondering if I’m doing the right thing!

Well Dave, first of all congratualtions on owning a Lexus. You are going from an estate car to an older 2 door coupe (?), if I have done my research carefully.

The two cars would appear to be chalk and cheese, so I am intrigued by exactly what you are concerned about?

• Like 1

Dave, most certainly ............  is Volvo now Chinese owned / manufactured ??? 

The Small Part being the size of the debit card to pay for it maybe !

Malc

A good move to any Lexus I'll warrant 🤩

• Thanks 1

I guess I’m a little concerned that I’m going to miss the size and practicality of the Volvo.

But the thing that sold me on the RC is just how smooth it is and how comfortable.

I’ve been looking for years for a good-looking GT car, the sort of car that can take you from Inverness to Exeter on A and B roads without breaking your spine. I’ve had Jags and Porsches and the RC (so far) looks like it can stand up there with any of them as a cross-country mile eater. 

The Volvo is great - I’ve had four over the years - but there are too many flaws on this latest B4 model. The regen brakes on this one are dreadful in town and the throttle is hard to feather with any precision. It’s horrid in traffic.It’s also a bit “crashy” over potholes and the ride is nowhere near as good as my old 10-plate V70. 

I drove 300 hundred yards in the RC and fell in love. 

I just hope the missus doesn’t want to go to IKEA 😁

• Like 1

Dave    I bought an RC a year ago, almost to the day.I have certainly not regretted it.I too was sold on it almost instantly.Yes,it is quiet and smooth and just a relaxing car to drive.

It won't (obviously) carry as much or as many people.Little things like the non cancelling indicators and the foot parking brake still niggle a year on.Performance is best described as "adequate".

Enjoy it.

• Like 1

Sort of-they cancel on a sharp/90° turn,but don't on a gentle 45° type turn.

I did finally get it to change from 3 to 5 flashes though,which is much better.

Otherwise,I can't think there's much worth stealing from Citroen.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Dave    I bought an RC a year ago, almost to the day.I have certainly not regretted it.I too was sold on it almost instantly.Yes,it is quiet and smooth and just a relaxing car to drive.

It won't (obviously) carry as much or as many people.Little things like the non cancelling indicators and the foot parking brake still niggle a year on.Performance is best described as "adequate".

Enjoy it.

The foot (hand)brake doesn’t really bother me too much. I had an E class Merc years ago that had one and it soon became second nature. I’ve tended not to use the handbrake on any of my cars recently - just shoved them in Park. I’m assuming that the same applies even with a CVT transmission?

I noticed the, er, idiosyncratic indicators on the test drive but I was too grateful that they were on the correct side after years of driving Japanese cars where the indicators were on the “wrong” side.

Adequate performance is good enough for me on today’s camera-infested roads. I raced for over twenty years so I’ve got that out of my system. One feature of the RC  that really attracted me was the way it allows one to “make progress” in a nice, relaxed, all-day kind of fashion. 

The track pad system looks like it might be a source of frustration but I’ll let the missus be responsible for that where possible. 😁 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had mine nearly 4 years now. As many have mentioned, lovely to own and drive. Be prepared for many admiring glances and comments. 

On holiday in France, people actually waited beside mine when parked, and wanted to find out about it.

I have managed to get a 2.5 metre kitchen top in mine. Put the wife in the back, fold the rear seat down, put the front seat forward, and fully recline it. Plenty of padding on the dash etc. 

I think the only thing to replace it with is an LC 500 when they drop below ÂŁ50k !

As for the indicators, I have mine set on the max of I think, 7 flashes (see YouTube), as they can be a nuisance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My First Lexus was ............. about 23 years ago, a Ls400      J54DAP

My second, a Mk2 Ls400  some years later when I gave her away ( the '92 Ls400 at 186k miles )   M470HWO  ( written off by a vandal one night ) 

My third, which I have now, my Mk3 Ls400 now on 243k miles which I've had for 11.5 years or so    N7GNT

Continuous and sequential happy ownership and probably 250k total miles of sheer bliss and comfort and unadulterated economic Power thru' the 4 litre V8 limo effect

Comfort and reliability abound .  and not worrying about fuel bills .  why would one with a V8  4 ltr limo !

AND the boot is quite capacious and the rear windows do open to take quite long bits and bobs if needs be

Once smitten for me and I've so enjoyed this blissful time with each of my Ls400's for sure     ... .....  my 2nd car that I've now had for some 6.5 years is my 56 plate Honda Legend,  AWD and  WOT A CAR ! 

BUT the Ls400 is just a tad more comfy and powerful when I need it ............  foot down and the roar of a mouse eh ! 

Dave, enjoy your First Lexus ............... and each one to follow hopefully  

IKEA stuff can be delivered easily enuf   Just get your priorities right 🙃

Malc

• Like 1

Yes performance is "relaxed",but my driving style changed very quickly and yet I still "make progress.

You can adjust the sensitivity/reactivity of the trackpadwhich ,along with practice ,helps.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links