Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is300h Shift into P . It then clicks and moves a bit

52 minutes ago, Colinb623 said:

Hi all.

I've noticed this happening a few times .

I shift into P and after a second or 2, the shifter kind of clicks and moves a bit like it locks. 

Is this normal ?

Is300h f sport 

That's normal if you don't put the parking brake on - the car can move slightly and it's the parking pawl engaging into position in the cvt. 

• Like 1

Hi, Mine jumps quite a bit. So I have adopted that with the car stopped on the brake pedal, I always apply the Parking brake, then move the selector to "N", release the brake pedal let the car settle on the Parking brake and then move into "P". It's a couple of seconds longer but It's never done it since. 

The Parking brake needed an adjustment to make sure it engages properly and holds the car on a slope.   

On 12/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, JackIS said:

Mine jumps quite a bit. So I have adopted that with the car stopped on the brake pedal, I always apply the Parking brake, then move the selector to "N", release the brake pedal let the car settle on the Parking brake and then move into "P". It's a couple of seconds longer but It's never done it since.

My guess would be that there's a good chance that this technique results in the parking pawl sometimes not engaging with the parking gear. I don't suppose this matters as the parking brake is holding the car but here's a video that shows the parking pawl and parking gear in a similar Toyota transmission. From this you can see that sometimes the parking pawl may not slip into a slot in the parking gear. This is the Prius P410 transaxle, whereas the IS300h has the L210 transmission, which is pretty similar but designed for rear wheel drive rather than front wheel drive. If you look at the video you can see that the parking pawl won't necessarily fit into a slot on the parking gear unless it turns a fraction to line up the pawl with the slot. This movement is what causes the jolt you sometimes feel when it engages.

It probably doesn't matter whether it engages or not because if the parking brake were to fail, the parking pawl would still slide into the next slot of the parking gear before the car had a chance to move more than a fraction. And for normal use, if the brakes are holding the car whenever Drive is selected, it will never be obvious whether the parking pawl was engaged or not.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links