Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

ES300H TAKUMI - wheel arch CAN BUS theft

Colenso

I contacted Nottingham Lexus a few weeks back about the possibility of having an adapted RX attachment fitted.  Not a positive result. However, after a recent service, I spoke to a the service manager. She has contacted Lexus who have agreed to supply the part and allow fitting. This was done  today at no cost. I understand that Lexus required photos/ descriptions of the work done. Having spoken to one of the guys in the service Dept., it was straightforward. I had been warned that they may need the car overnight. No problem as a loan car was supplied, but job was done within the day.

Doesn’t ensure that some scrote won’t destroy the front bumper, but at least the wreckage will still be there.

• Like 3

Spoke to lexus leicester about adapting the rx plate for the es300h and he was reluctant as it was not an official fix. He stated that he had recived a teams invite for next week from Lexus uk to update them on the CANBUS problem. 

Hopefully we should all be getting an update soon

• Like 3

Earlier in this thread (May 2) I posted the response I got from my dealer when I asked about any updates on the anti-theft situation. In view of their negative response, I contacted Lexus CR; their response was to say that the dealer could fit the plates. I sent them a copy of my dealer's email which said that the plates were not available for the ES. A few days later, I had a call from the dealer asking me to come in so that they could fit the plates!

I sent an email to Lexus CR thanking them for sorting it (their job is a pretty thankless task!), and asking if there was a date for a real solution. They replied that a software solution was 'imminent'.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dippo said:

I sent an email to Lexus CR thanking them for sorting it (their job is a pretty thankless task!), and asking if there was a date for a real solution. They replied that a software solution was 'imminent'.

This makes total sense to me. A plate may delay but wouldn't stop anyone determined to do the dastardly. Portable power tools are very cheap these days; considerably less that a Lexus ES!

A well designed software solution, while not quick to produce, is much more likely to prevent theft.

5 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

A well designed software solution, while not quick to produce, is much more likely to prevent theft.

But not the attempt?

8 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

But not the attempt?

If they are all recalled then attempts should stop as the thieves will know it is no longer an easy touch. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

If they are all recalled then attempts should stop as the thieves will know it is no longer an easy touch. 

That's a big if...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been the victim of the CAN BUS theft 4 times in the past 18 months, while living in North London. Thieves stole the first ES and then i installed the GHOST II immobiliser in the second one. After that they tried to steal it 3 more times, each time causing damage to the front bumper, lights and electrics which takes time and money to repair. Since Lexus UK has so far not been willing or able to solve this problem, the next step i took was to fit the bracket over the CAN BUS entry point next to the front left light. My non-Lexus repair shop has ordered the part for the RX, which fits in perfectly in an ES. It takes a few hours to install and now hopefully the car is safe!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stan from London said:

My non-Lexus repair shop has ordered the part for the RX, which fits in perfectly in an ES. It takes a few hours to install and now hopefully the car is safe!

Safe from theft but not from the damage caused by the attempt, the thieves don't know the plates are fitted.

Maybe some eBay window stickers would deter?

s-l1600.webp

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stan from London said:

I have been the victim of the CAN BUS theft 4 times in the past 18 months, while living in North London. Thieves stole the first ES and then i installed the GHOST II immobiliser in the second one. After that they tried to steal it 3 more times, each time causing damage to the front bumper, lights and electrics which takes time and money to repair. Since Lexus UK has so far not been willing or able to solve this problem, the next step i took was to fit the bracket over the CAN BUS entry point next to the front left light. My non-Lexus repair shop has ordered the part for the RX, which fits in perfectly in an ES. It takes a few hours to install and now hopefully the car is safe!

That is utterly ludicrous and I really feel for you.

Have you got a visible steering wheel lock to deter them a bit? Or as someone else pointed out, a sticker saying don't bother..

Other than that I'd be camping in my car with a German shepherd indefinitely. 

Or this

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links