Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Reducing oil usage

AFlex

I have to thank the OP for mentioning Marvel Mystery Oil and introducing me to a whole new area of car-related Americana, both graphic and literary, of which I was not previously aware. How numerous producers of automotive lubricants were wont to claim “magical” properties for their brands recently inspired a nostalgic passage by the Mexican-American writer Alfredo Vea in his 2017 novel, The Mexican Flyboy.  I quote:  “…He glanced again at their battered, dented cars.  These Mexican laborers were single-handedly keeping the Grand Auto and Western Auto stores in business  … any one [of them] could  drop and disassemble a Hydro-Matic transmission using only pliers and a butter-knife.  But to a man [they] preferred another method.  In the garbage heap behind the main parking  lot … were hundreds of cans of  Mighty Motor Magic and Uncanny Tranny Wizard, Magic Barsleeks, Mandrake’s Wonder Grease, Flat Tyre Hex, Radiator Genie, and a can or two  of  Black Magic Motor Honey.  There were bottles of Gypsy Mystery Oil, Mystic Octane Booster, and Dr. Camshaft’s Supernatural Valve Unguent.  Put the word “magic” on a can full of viscous fluid and the Mexicans would snap it up by the case…”

• Haha 2

@Rabbers you're welcome... I guess :wink3:

Appreciate there will be some haters. Honestly, I was just trying to help some others in a similar situation, given the age of our cars, and given that no one likes a car burning oil (it creates sooty tailpipes, and ruins the components in the exhaust path, e.g. O2 sensors, cats, etc.)

I think @Bluemarlin has probably raised the best challenge - "it's hard to tell whether that's the result of the Marvel Mystery Oil, or simply the effect of doing several 2-3k mile oil changes in quick succession". So you might want to just do this and see if it solves your problem before purchasing MMO.

I tend not to waste money on empty promise products without doing some research beforehand. I looked at a few sources before using it. Was quite impressed with the cleaning results in the Project Farm video, although, obviously, I wouldn't expect this product to improve compression.

Absolutely no hate from my side, AF. People are free to use whatever additives they like whenever and for whatever purpose they like.  My own experience with injector cleaner yielded no objective proof of effectiveness, so I stopped using it.  My interest in MMO, such as it is, is purely for its nature as a surviving brand within a genre of American automotive advertising history. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links