Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Dashcam installation with dark tints

Hello ladies and gents,

I’m looking at installing a 1 or 2 channel dashcam on my UX250H F-Sport.

Because my rear window has a very dark tint( from factory ), how effective would the rear camera be, especially at night?

Has anyone ran into issues with the  dark tinted rear window when installing a 2 channel dashcam?

Any suggestions for a small discreet 2K or 4K dashcam? I was looking at the Vantrue E1 for single front camera and Ventrue E2 for front and rear.

Cheers

I fitted a Viofo A129 pro duo 4K. to my car about 6 months ago and it was fairly easy to fit and produces very good images.

As to the view through the rear tinted windows,my car only has the normal very lightly tinted glass,so makes no difference.I think the rear camera should be fitted as close as possible to the rear screen and woul benefit from a polarising filter.

If you buy direct from Viofo UK,you will get the best prices for accessories like polarising filters,hardwire kit and SD card.

• Thanks 1

I fitted a BlackVue DR590X-2CH front/rear dashcam to my UX250h F-Sport. My UX also has the factory fitted dark tinted rear window. 

I’ve found the clarity of the recorded images from the front and rear cameras both day and night to be exceptional.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

7 hours ago, Ammu said:

Hi all

UX F sport . Would you recommend dash cam installed by dealer or Halfords . Any cam recommendations ? 
Thanks .

I’ve always used the same excellent local auto electrician on the basis that installing dashcams is something he does for a living and on a very regular basis.

7 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

Anyone else think is weird that despite the latest Lexus cars being covered in cameras, they dont utilise them as dash cams? Yet they seem to come up with OTT tech for the sake of it!

I have indeed pondered that myself, Alex.

For example, my rear camera displays when reverse is selected, but could be recording an image continuously - with the rear sensors powered to activate the system when parked.

What occurred to me is that the current cameras are located at low levels - typically, under the boot lid and above the front bumper or at the base of the windscreen.

Dashcams, however, are invariably positioned at the highest point of the front and rear screens.  So I wondered if this was because technically - and evidentially - this was the most effective positioning for recording purposes.

25 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

I believe from watching dash cam videos on youtube that Teslas use their cameras for security & dash cam purposes & its top quality too. Including wing mirror cameras.

The problem with sentry mode on the Tesla’s is that it is an afterthought and requires the car’s main computer to be operational to run the cameras which consumes 300 W of power. Not such an issue with a massive EV Battery but Lexus couldn’t do the same with a tiny 12 v aux Battery, or even the low capacity hybrid traction Battery. Therefore it would only be useful when the vehicle was in use, not when parked up.

Architecturally there as a massive difference between a Tesla and mainstream vehicles which would make implementing the same solution difficult. The Lexus is a collection of different systems, mainly designed by different OEMs, that don’t share information between each other. It would be difficult to get the video used by one system and reuse it for something else. Certainly not with just a simple software update. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links