Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)

DTR

Hi again

I have been trying to find how this is used in an ES F Sport. Using the electronic instruction manual is a pain. I have found AVS in the car manual. It just tells you what it does and refers you to the manual for the “screen” thingy. I can’t find anything about it in there. I did search for AVS.

Is the only way of adjusting by changing the mode to Sport or Sport +? In which case it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference. I am looking to soften the ride anyway-not make it firmer.

After a lot of faffing about, I did once find it in adjustment of “Custom” settings. Only seems to be 2 options (I.e. up or down). I had imagined it would be continuously variable. OK, I’m an optimist. Anyway, I can’t remember how I did it.

This is more an academic question as I only poodle around. If I had wanted to zap about I would have purchased one of the usual German suspects. I am not keen on overtaking at blind bends or wizzing straight from slip roads to the overtaking lane so this seemed inappropriate.

On the matter of electronic manuals, is there a way to jump straight to a highlighted page number, rather than manually scrolling through over 500 pages?

Never had this trouble with a Moggy Minor. Mind you, the front wheel nearly fell off one day when turning a corner.

Thanks again in advance,

Dave

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, DTR said:

Hi again

I have been trying to find how this is used in an ES F Sport. Using the electronic instruction manual is a pain. I have found AVS in the car manual. It just tells you what it does and refers you to the manual for the “screen” thingy. I can’t find anything about it in there. I did search for AVS.

Is the only way of adjusting by changing the mode to Sport or Sport +? In which case it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference. I am looking to soften the ride anyway-not make it firmer.

After a lot of faffing about, I did once find it in adjustment of “Custom” settings. Only seems to be 2 options (I.e. up or down). I had imagined it would be continuously variable. OK, I’m an optimist. Anyway, I can’t remember how I did it.

This is more an academic question as I only poodle around. If I had wanted to zap about I would have purchased one of the usual German suspects. I am not keen on overtaking at blind bends or wizzing straight from slip roads to the overtaking lane so this seemed inappropriate.

On the matter of electronic manuals, is there a way to jump straight to a highlighted page number, rather than manually scrolling through over 500 pages?

Never had this trouble with a Moggy Minor. Mind you, the front wheel nearly fell off one day when turning a corner.

Thanks again in advance,

Dave

As for the manual, find the page you want and type it into the page box and you will go to that page. As my driving style is like yours l told my dealer that l didn't want anything to do with 'sport', no sport suspension, no low profile tyres, no mention of sport in the name and my ES premium edition is the perfect ride, or it will be when they sort out the rattle.

AVS continuously works and alters the damping force based on speed, steering angle, braking force, loading on the vehicle etc.

It is mainly there to improve handling (e.g. stop body lean in corners, or nose dive when braking) without making the car too stiff in normal driving. As a driver you don't get too much control over this, only if you put it in Sport or Sport+ mode the suspension is stiffened up a little. You cannot make it softer than how it behaves in the Normal driving mode.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

AVS continuously works and alters the damping force based on speed, steering angle, braking force, loading on the vehicle etc.

It is mainly there to improve handling (e.g. stop body lean in corners, or nose dive when braking) without making the car too stiff in normal driving. As a driver you don't get too much control over this, only if you put it in Sport or Sport+ mode the suspension is stiffened up a little. You cannot make it softer than how it behaves in the Normal driving mode.

Hi

Thanks for that. I didn’t think it was that clever. I have fiddled around today and managed to find “ Custom Setting”. I put car in Custom mode ( probably not necessary), then MENU-Settings. On the LHS of the screen there is a list of things. The bottom one gives you 3 options to fiddle with. One does the job. Trouble is I suspect that I may not have remembered it correctly. Easier to just change to Sport or Sport +. When in these modes, it is amazing to see how frequently the engine revs fall to zero. Also surprising how keen it is to “change up”. Very different to some of the Hondas I have owned.

8 hours ago, DTR said:

Hi

Thanks for that. I didn’t think it was that clever. I have fiddled around today and managed to find “ Custom Setting”. I put car in Custom mode ( probably not necessary), then MENU-Settings. On the LHS of the screen there is a list of things. The bottom one gives you 3 options to fiddle with. One does the job. Trouble is I suspect that I may not have remembered it correctly. Easier to just change to Sport or Sport +. When in these modes, it is amazing to see how frequently the engine revs fall to zero. Also surprising how keen it is to “change up”. Very different to some of the Hondas I have owned.

When you change drive mode, different characteristics of the vehicle are altered.

Eco - lower throttle response (powertrain), low power aircon, normal suspension (chassis)

Normal - standard throttle response (powertrain), normal aircon, normal suspension (chassis)

Sport - higher throttle response and higher engine revs (powertrain), normal aircon, and stiffer suspension (chassis).

Custom just allows you to define another drive mode where you pick which settings go together. For example you could have Sport chassis combined with normal powertrain and eco aircon.

It doesn't allow you to define a new suspension stiffness, you can only choose between the existing two options - normal and sport.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links