Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

So car has been delivered.

Normally do you get a walkthrough and help on setting up and configuring everything or are you left to figure it all out on your own normally?

Admittedly I can work out most things but there are unknown unknowns and not been told any do's or don'ts.  (serious answers please, no "don't drive it in to a pond, or such like).

• Like 2

Congratulation with the car. Enjoy it!

Same here. Nobody told anything about how to drive a hybrid, so it was different and partly strange in the beginning.

Herbie say the manual is a way to learn and while it is correct, I have never seen such a poorly written manual for a car like the one coming with the CT. Think it is translated by Google from Japanese. The pictures in it are better than the words.

• Like 3

I think though it's pretty poor.  You spend a great deal of money on a car and they could at least talk you through some of it.  The missus bought a regular car for considerably less from another Japanese manufacturer and she got an hours demo on how everything worked.

11 hours ago, Sybaris said:

So car has been delivered.

Normally do you get a walkthrough and help on setting up and configuring everything or are you left to figure it all out on your own normally?

Admittedly I can work out most things but there are unknown unknowns and not been told any do's or don'ts.  (serious answers please, no "don't drive it in to a pond, or such like).

I had a walk through and phone set up etc. on a used car and my wife had a walk through and initial set up with her new Toyota and so I would have thought your Lexus dealer will give you an initial walk through of the main controls and possibly set up your phone, radio stations etc. if you want them to. As people have said earlier, the manuals are not great but all the info is in there, sometimes need to read the relevant section a couple of times to understand it fully.

• Like 2

I started reading them but there is so much in there and it got a bit boring.

Also I can't sit in the car with my desktop PC.

Now to figure how to get this lexus online thing to connect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sybaris said:

Also I can't sit in the car with my desktop PC.

But surely you have a smartphone? Just open the pdf manual on there.

YouTube is also a superb source of information. Many people have done walkthroughs on there, these being amongst them:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=walkthrough+of+2020+Lexus+RX

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sybaris said:

Im getting there, one page at a time.

There's very little that isn't intuitive but it's always easier to learn by watching someone else do it.

Sit in the car with your smartphone and play the YouTube videos, pausing them when necessary to allow you time to copy what they're doing before moving on.

• Like 4

My dealership, like other joint Toyota/Lexus ones desirous of keeping the two marque images separate, has set up a well-appointed “walkthrough room” in which customers taking delivery of their cars are tutored and fed canapés etc., in luxurious hi-tech surroundings.  I have experienced the process twice, learned little or nothing that I didn’t already know or want to try out for myself at my own leisure, and felt a little embarrassed at feeling obliged to politely listen to the salesman’s well-rehearsed spiel while trying not to interrupt the flow with too many questions to which I already knew the answers.

Generally speaking, I find the classic printed user’s manual more useful, not only as a permanent reference source but as a self-teaching aid.  Just as useful and educational, both as supplementary aids and as outright substitutes for the manual, are the visual tutorials, each up to two hours long, produced by Lexus Westside of Houston, Tx, covering most current or recent models, and available on YT.  Although they are naturally based on U.S.-spec models, most, indeed almost all, of the demonstrations and information provided are no less useful for European and U.K. owners.

• Like 4

Actually it is pretty intuitive.  The one thing that has confused me (I say one thing but there are more) is that on YouTube, the nav screen has this waffle looking icon on the left of the screen.  I don't see that.  I think its options for something or other.... Still I will persevere and see where that takes me.

I had a short walkthrough of certain features when I bought my nearly new RX in 2019. The dealer also asked me if I had any questions (I did have a few), but he was happy to answer them. As others have said, the manuals are a mine of information but are quite lengthy. It's possible to order paper copies of the full manuals from Lexus UK if you prefer reading them rather than from a phone/tablet/computer (or at least this was the case when I asked last year).

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links