Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

LC500 Tyres

I’m going through this process now. The Goodyears the car came with just are not good enough. I’ve asked for a pair of pilot sport 4s if that is even doable. I know it’s not run flats but I don’t mind carrying an inflator foam can around for more traction.

Do keep us posted on where you end up. 

When I had an Aston DB9, I changed the tyres from the standard Bridgestone Potenza to Michelin PSS (the predecessor to the PS4s). The improvement in ride was immense even though both were non-runflats.

My LC500 has Bridgestone Turanza tyres as standard.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just put non run flats on mine.  Went with the Continental sport contact 6 which are similar in price £290 a tyre but it is a better ride than the run flats. Carry a tyre repair kit in the boot should I get a puncture.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:15 PM, EddieCD said:

I’ve just put non run flats on mine.  Went with the continental sport contact 6 which are similar in price £290 a tyre but it is a better ride than the run flats. Carry a tyre repair kit in the boot should I get a puncture.

Have you had to inform your insurance company as this is technically a change of standard spec?

32 minutes ago, Ken R said:

Have you had to inform your insurance company as this is technically a change of standard spec?

Ken, the question should be "Did you inform your Insurance Company and what did they say?"

• Like 1

I'm never to sure what the truth of the matter is and whether you genuinely do have to notify your insurer. Invariably it seems when you do there is no cost impact, and it is, "duly noted".

Curiously, if you change to run flats from (presumably) non rf's, then this is the response from  Honest John. Sadly and try as I might I can't find a  definitive  response from rf's to non rf's!

Honest John

No - insurance requires your car to be road worthy and that is all. The part about "modifications" is for them to know if you have anything else on the car that they need to insure, in old days when cars didn't have alloy wheels  (later audio systems) and they were stolen all the time Insurance would have expected to know you have them fitted, else they would not cover the wheels if they are stolen. Second part are performance modifications where somebody has swapped the engine or fitted the turbo and instead for 150hp now has 700hp - yes that is modification. At no point Insurance cares what brand tyres are fitted (event thought in my opinion, that is one of more important things for safety when it comes to premium/budget tyres), even Lexus themselves stock different tyres from time to time, because spec changes from year to year. 

One I called insurance anonymously an asked if I would need to report that I have fitted 18" wheels instead of 17", but both being available for the car as options from Lexus - and they said "nope - we don't care as long as they are road legal".

As for the tyres I would get - definitely something non-run flat, apart of that there are many very comparable and very good tyres. What is your goal - take car to the track form time to time, then go for UUHP like PS4s, if it is more comforts and safety there are now PS5 (better on fuel, on noise and comfort). Goodyear, Bridgestone, Continental will have equivalent offers - Goodyear Asymmetric SuperSport or Asymmetric 6, Bridgestone has new Potenza Sport which is somewhere in between, Continental has SportContact 7 or PremiumContact 7. It is very hard to make mistake choosing any of these tyres.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

insurance requires your car to be road worthy and that is all. The part about "modifications" is for them to know if you have anything else on the car that they need to insure

Maybe Adrian Flux which pops up here from time to time when insurance is raised could please provide us with some definitive guidance ???

Thank you AF

Malc

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Malc said:

Maybe Adrian Flux which pops up here from time to time when insurance is raised could please provide us with some definitive guidance ???

It would be best to ask your insurance if unsure, each Insurance can have their own policies... although I am sure fitting different (arguably better) tyres should not be a problem for any, nor needs reporting. This would create major legal issue in UK if suddenly people would be only allowed to fit the tyres which came with the car when it was new (makes no sense!), not only that would mean budget tyres would be virtually made illegal (probably not a bad thing), but most of mid-range tyres as well... and then somebody with Golf GTI from 2018 would have to get only Nexen tyres because that was for short period of time supplier for some WV. And all people with cars older than ~10 years would be completely screwed, because those tyres on their cars are no longer made.   

17 minutes ago, Brian R said:

I suspect there is much myth and urban legend around  what one should or should not notify to the insurer.

Ohhh boy, there are loads. I am not immune to it either, hence I called insurance once to clarify. I could not say I was laughed at, but at very least the adviser was slightly surprised about the question. "So you saying they are both Lexus wheels and they both meant for that model? And why you want to report it? No it is not modification. Yes... that is fine!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian R said:

I suspect there is much myth and urban legend around  what one should or should not notify to the insurer.

Until you make a claim and they try to wriggle out of paying! I am not totally convinced that removing the "safety"of RF tyres with standard tyres will be viewed favourably by some insurers.

2 hours ago, Ken R said:

Until you make a claim and they try to wriggle out of paying! I am not totally convinced that removing the "safety"of RF tyres with standard tyres will be viewed favourably by some insurers.

As others have said, in case individual insurers take a specific view and you’re concerned, then just email them with the query, so you get a written response.

But as Ken suggests, I suspect that Insurers only get interested in the event of a claim - and then it would concern the state of the tyres.  If they were illegal in any way, or mixed types on the same axle, then they might contest the claim.

If they were RFs and it could be proven that they had been damaged and then driven at speeds and distance greater than the imposed limits, then that might also invalidate any claim.

Fortunately, not so easy to prove.  And it might also depend on how much tyre condition contributed to the cause of the claim.

• Like 2

I am with Admiral and checked when I changed them.  When it comes to wheels/tyres they are only interested if you change the alloy wheels to non standard.  Any tyre is fine as long as they are legal.  Worth considering going non run flat if you need to change all 4 tyres.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ken R said:

RF has little to do with "safety", the difference is just that you can drive them after having puncture. Ironically if you have accident when driving car on RF tyre with puncture this is more likely to be cause of denied cover as you not suppose to be driving on flat tyre even if it is RF. As well in practice RF tyre has always failed me and car ended-up on flatbed... which kind of indicative of my opinion about RF - throw them away at the earliest convenience. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. My LC came with RF tires (I live in California) and it is not exactly a smooth ride. I will change to a non-RF tire when they wear out, hopefully for a smoother ride. 

• Like 1

Hi

just a question does anyone worry about damage to the wheels when going to a normal tyre fitter (not Lexus)

I have had damage to expensive wheels before and the wheels on the LC being so expensive and hard to repair I was planning on taking to Lexus 

Am I being overly cautious?

Are they actually hard to refurb? They look like they are completely painted? Black gloss and chrome (it’s not diamond cut).

It really depends on the premium you pay at Lexus…. 

If the answer is “yes no one can paint it the way they come” then I would take it Lexus personally but do ask them to price match a quote from black circles or similar. 

Do keep us posted.

2 hours ago, Winston said:

Hi

just a question does anyone worry about damage to the wheels when going to a normal tyre fitter (not Lexus)

I have had damage to expensive wheels before and the wheels on the LC being so expensive and hard to repair I was planning on taking to Lexus 

Am I being overly cautious?

Somewhat topical given I had mine serviced just last week and whilst at the dealer I discussed tyres and I, for one, do worry about wheel damage ever since a certain chain wrecked some alloys on my Alfa. The upshot is that Lexus were/are keen to offer a tyre fitment service and would "price match." Seemed to me there was every possibility to get the tyres you want and at the best market price. Really nothing to lose but everything to gain given I am sure Lexus would apply due care and diligence at the fitting stage.

2 hours ago, shapiro said:

Are they actually hard to refurb? They look like they are completely painted? Black gloss and chrome (it’s not diamond cut).

If the answer is “yes no one can paint it the way they come” then I would take it Lexus personally but do ask them to price match a quote from black circles or similar. 

Do keep us posted.

Yes apparently very hard to find anyone who can repair them and I have heard quotes of £700-£800 for a repair 

about £2.5 K for a new wheel

2 hours ago, shapiro said:

Do keep us posted.

Just to clarify these are the 21 forged alloy wheels on the LC500 sports plus models 

3 hours ago, Winston said:

I do ......thankfully I'm not in  the market for replacements just yet !!

I have those too….

I bought my car used from Lexus with a slight “chip” missing from one of these alloys. The dealer has agreed to refurb them at my convenience but didn’t seem to bothered or worried about how hard it may or may not have been.

I really don’t think an alloy refurb would be hard. Forged or otherwise the process is the same. Arguably, a little less faff as they are not diamond cut finished.

The chrome is just paint. 

However, why have the hassle to find out. Let Lexus do it and if it causes issues you know it will be easier to address it with Lexus.

9FF93E5E-99BA-4C1D-B9B6-8F1128E46DC1.thumb.jpeg.8e143069873501c15957324583c95e4a.jpeg

2 hours ago, Winston said:

Yes apparently very hard to find anyone who can repair them and I have heard quotes of £700-£800 for a repair 

about £2.5 K for a new wheel

To "repair" i.e. if they bent or cracked, then it isn't really possible on forged wheels and generally not a good idea on most wheels. Refurbishes is not "repair" as the actual metal is not touched at all and it is simply repainting them, likewise if wheel is kerbed, this is simply filled in with filler as on any repainting job and makes no difference if wheel is steel, aluminium, forged or titanium. For 21" wheels + two colour and chrome complications I would expect like £150 per wheel refurbishment, but is it is because of chrome, size and dual colour, not because they are forged. 

I actually always hated the look of LC wheels, but having seen them refurbished in single colour, like gun metal or silver, I realised they actually do not look that bad, is just that dual colour chrome and black just makes them look to busy and messy in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, shapiro said:

I have those too….

I bought my car used from Lexus with a slight “chip” missing from one of these alloys. The dealer has agreed to refurb them at my convenience but didn’t seem to bothered or worried about how hard it may or may not have been.

I really don’t think an alloy refurb would be hard. Forged or otherwise the process is the same. Arguably, a little less faff as they are not diamond cut finished.

The chrome is just paint. 

However, why have the hassle to find out. Let Lexus do it and if it causes issues you know it will be easier to address it with Lexus.

9FF93E5E-99BA-4C1D-B9B6-8F1128E46DC1.thumb.jpeg.8e143069873501c15957324583c95e4a.jpeg

If they are cheaper than I thoroughly to repair great. The prices I mentioned I saw on one of the forums on here.

I will still probably take to Lexus as if there are any problems I know they will fix it without to much trouble.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links