Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Electric bus goes up in flames!

My concern is, imagine that bus in a long tunnel ( some in excess of 24 Km in EU) or even worst on a car ferry😳

Another option for EV ( cars only….try getting that over a bus)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texas said:

My concern is, imagine that bus in a long tunnel ( some in excess of 24 Km in EU) or even worst on a car ferry😳

Trust Spain to try the Cape and Bull method !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas said:

But isn't it same concern with any fire in any tunnel? Talking about ferries "allegedly" BEVs caused massive car ferry/transporter to sink earlier this year - https://www.ctif.org/news/burning-ship-carrying-lithium-ev-cars-sank-outside-azores

I agree that BEVs fires are special in multiple senses, but I still want to stay balanced on the issue. For example this bus video is just suspicious, if somebody calls me conspiracy theorist that is well deserved, but it looks staged to me and made specifically to scare public from BEVs (or maybe certain Paris government department away from procuring electric buses). However, it shows few key issues with tech - lithium is highly reactive, can combust spontaneously if compromised, it is very difficult to extinguish (because it is self-sustaining chemical and electrical fire in one place), not only that it is explosive, especially the thin foil/mesh used in batteries, so not only it is difficult to put out, it is as well dangerous. 

So on one hand I would say that if designed correctly, if maintained correctly and if used correctly lithium batteries are rather dense energy storage device and it is excellent for what it is meant to be used... and that is consumer electronics, maybe small vehicles... so we can stretch to maybe PHEVs with 30miles range, or small city cars with similar EV range. Where lithium gets scary are these new long range cars, even worse buses and trucks, when you have so much of highly reactive metal in thin sheets surrounded by chemical electrolyte... it turns very sour very quickly. So lithium and lithium batteries tech is amazing and very beneficial for humanity, but using it for vehicles with ever increasing Battery sizes is another matter.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links