Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Do the batteries degrade on low milage Lexus?

Hi, I'm interested in buying a 2016 NX300h. To get with my budget I'll need about a 2016 model. If I manage to find a low milage one would the hybrid batteries have degraded at this age or due to a limited number of miles driven each year?

Thank you

Not quite the same I know but our i3 is coming up to seven years old and the true range we get is the same now as when we drive it out the dealers….good Battery management systems make batteries last, should be fine at least Lexus/Toyota have more experience than most, if not all.

edit: low mileage not an issue ours has done 26K in those years

31 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

Hi, I'm interested in buying a 2016 NX300h. To get with my budget I'll need about a 2016 model. If I manage to find a low milage one would the hybrid batteries have degraded at this age or due to a limited number of miles driven each year?

Thank you

Too low mileage causes many other problems with cars. A well serviced car with regular use is a much better buy and less likely to have problems than a low mileage car. A Lexus should reach 200k miles without major issues so worrying over getting a low mileage example over anything else is not necessarily going to get you the best car for your money or needs. 

• Like 2

I would not bother finding lowest mileage one, more important is to have service history as others said. 

As for Battery degradation, it is not as much of an issue on Lexus hybrids as it is on pure-EVs. First of all, Lexus are using kind of old Battery tech (nickel rather than lithium) which is kind of good in this case - it is more stable and degrades less. Secondly, Lexus hybrid is "self-charging" (there are Lexus BEVs and PHEVs now, but 2016 NX is not that) which means Battery capacity is kind of irrelevant as long as it passes hybrid-health check, it is not like you can drive anywhere just on the Battery alone, apart of maybe moving out of driveway at most. So I would say even if it degrades a little bit, it is not a concern like in other cars where Battery capacity directly impact range or MPG.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links