Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I'm buying Morrisons and Tesco and Esso sometimes for my '95 Ls400 .........  some is 97 octane and the other 99 .......  which is preferable ? ( disregarding pricing which is all over the place still here ) 

Thank you

Malc

3 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm buying Morrisons and Tesco and Esso sometimes for my '95 Ls400 .........  some is 97 octane and the other 99 .......  which is preferable ? ( disregarding pricing which is all over the place still here ) 

Thank you

Read this and then decide Malc ;

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/news-insights/fuel-and-fleet/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

Read this Malcyyyyy

Thank you but not sure that answers me ..... both the local Tesco and Esso E5 are 99 octane

Morrisons is .............  97

The local BP garage is always a few pence dearer BUT I also notice they are a MFG station which means THEY specifically have the same fuel as Asda is it .......  and / or Morrisons ?

My local Sainsbury and Asda don't sell E5 at their forecourts .......  pricing is all over the place whatever and I usually just buy the least expensive E5 ....  that often changes on a whim tbh

Additives are well beyond my comprehension to get to grips with whatever the article may say ..... I'm just a complex but simple soul really

It's the revs in me that count and am I going to be more revved up with 99 than with 97 ??  .........  whatever the price :unsure:

Malc

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

Thank you but not sure that answers me ..... both the local Tesco and Esso E5 are 99 octane

Morrisons is .............  97

The local BP garage is always a few pence dearer BUT I also notice they are a MFG station which means THEY specifically have the same fuel as Asda is it .......  and / or Morrisons ?

My local Sainsbury and Asda don't sell E5 at their forecourts .......  pricing is all over the place whatever and I usually just buy the least expensive E5 ....  that often changes on a whim tbh

Additives are well beyond my comprehension to get to grips with whatever the article may say ..... I'm just a complex but simple soul really

It's the revs in me that count and am I going to be more revved up with 99 than with 97 ??  .........  whatever the price :unsure:

Malc

Just fill her with 99 @ the cheapest price inc cost of travel.

You and I are too old now to be saving money for ourselves.🤣🤣👍👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

hahahahahaha you're very very right on that score to be sure John .............. I don't want to save money for anything ...........  even the kids know they'll be in their 80s afore I snuff it ( I hope )  BUT it's really quite challenging personally to spend spend spend when all around us is still covid awash with my passion in life to travel .........  anywhere and everywhere mostly BUT safely .........  jeez, even my online travel agency is having soopa doopa months ...  never known so many people wanting to put their lives in their hands .......... and the medics ..... to travel heaven knows where ......... good on 'em tho' ........ just pray it all continues safely and well and this covid debacle is getting well and truly behind us ....... forever !

E5    99 octane it is then .........  all the way for the next 100k + miles :thumbsup:

Malc

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 1:15 PM, royoftherovers said:

Just fill her with 99 @ the cheapest price inc cost of travel.

Yup unless you are doing stellar mileage…I’d stick to E5 highest octane.

No way am I running the new E10. I’m all for progress and new tech…E10 does not qualify for me.

• Like 1

The Owners manual states to use 91 Octane, but that is the US measure (Pump Octane Number or PON, also known as Anti-Knock Index of AKI) which is the average of the RON Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number) values.
In the UK & EU we use RON on the petrol pumps so you need petrol that meets or exceeds 95RON.
It really does not matter if you run 95RON or 97/98/99RON as the engine will adjust itself accordingly.

The E number relates to the percentage of Ethanol in the petrol.
E5 means up to 5% Ethanol, E10 means up to 10% Ethanol.
Whilst the ethanol content can affect the Octane rating, you don't need to know about that as that is included in the RON shown on the pump.

However, your LS400 cannot run on E10 so you MUST use E5.
LS430s can run E10 so can run on 95RON-E10.
But since you must run E5 you will either need to use 97/98/99RON-E5 since nowhere now sells 95RON-E5.

Basically, just go for the cheapest E5 you can find. :thumbup:

yes I do BUT I was just wondering the benefits of running  99  octane when it's from " not a Morrisons 97 octane " pump !

Malc

2 hours ago, Malc said:

yes I do BUT I was just wondering the benefits of running  99  octane when it's from " not a Morrisons 97 octane " pump !

Pretty much none. Once you are over the octane rating for the engine (95) there is no performance difference to be gained from running higher octane.
On a highly strung, high compression engine such as many modern turbocharged motors, running higher octane will give you a slight performance boost but that normally requires the ECU to be remapped to cope with higher octane.

Super/Supreme petrols claim to have better "additive" packages that they claim keep the engine cleaner and better lubricated, but to be honest with you I think that is mostly just marketing guff. It may delay the drop in compression due to worn bores/piston rings on your engine from 350k miles to 355k miles, but in the meantime you have been paying £15 extra every time you fill the tank. Is it really worth that extra cost?

I was running E5-97/98/99RON in my LS430 until the recent price panic/ripoff (have you seen the profits that the oil companies are making?) but now I've gone back to E10-95RON. Luckily for me I'm not doing much mileage any more. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links