Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Reverse Camera - "System Initialising"

I just had a bit of work done in my local Lexus dealer, including replacing the dipped HID bulbs.  After replacement I noticed that the dip beams turned with the steering - something I'd not noticed before.

On the downside, however, when in reverse, I don't get the turning guidelines on the camera screen, and there is a "system initialising" message with a warning triangle.

Logic tells me they are connected issues, but is there a way of initialising the system myself (hidden menu, maybe), or is it a trip back to the workshop?

There are a couple of YouTube videos showing a fix, but I' thought I'd check with the gurus here (Herbie, are you listening?) first.

I've emailed the dealer, but they are now closed for the weekend.  I'm pretty sure they will put it right, but if I can do it easily, then it will save a 30km drive on Monday.

1 hour ago, Superduner said:

There are a couple of YouTube videos showing a fix, but I' thought I'd check with the gurus here (Herbie, are you listening?) first.

Why thank you David, very kind of you sir :thumbsup:

Sadly, I'm afraid that I can't help this time as it's not something I've ever come across or had to deal with, but I'm sure someone else will know the answer.

Try one of the following:

1. When "SYSTEM INITIALIZING" is displayed, correct the steering angle neutral point using either of the following methods.

METHOD 1
  1. Turn the steering wheel to the right and left fully.

METHOD 2
  1. Drive the vehicle at more than 20 km/h (12 mph) for more than 5 minutes on a straight road and with as little traffic congestion as possible.

HINT:

While driving at a constant vehicle speed, the ECU recognizes the point where the steering angle changes the least and memorizes it as the steering angle neutral point.

2. Stop the vehicle and check whether the neutral point is stored or not. If it is not stored, drive the vehicle some more (the neutral point is stored by driving the vehicle straight).

• Like 1

Thanks Colin.  Turning the wheel fully both ways did the trick.  Or maybe it cured itself.  I'll never know!

In passing, while I was playing around with the buttons, I found a whole bunch of reverse camera "guideline modes" that I didn't know existed.  I'll still only use the one with the moving lines though.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links