Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help requested: battery and tyre advice

Hi all

Long time, no chat -- hoping you can kindly help me with some GS issues

The GS is a weekend car and frankly only gets driven 1 to 2 times a month

I am having issues with the Battery and tyre pressure

1) The Battery seems to have gone completely flat one week after a full recharge (Battery tender) - I couldn't locate a light or an electrical drain that had been left on.  Any advice on how to proceed here? My thought is to replace the Battery (likely 3+ yrs old) and then go from there. Any suggestions here?  Where should I get the Battery?

2) The tyre pressure is leaking unevenly amongst the tyres. One in particular is losing c5 more PSI every month or so vs the others.  I took the car to Lexus a yr ago, asking them to inspect the wheels (thinking bent rim, bead giving way) and they couldn't find anything.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance!

51 minutes ago, Werewolf1976 said:

Hi all

Long time, no chat -- hoping you can kindly help me with some GS issues

The GS is a weekend car and frankly only gets driven 1 to 2 times a month

I am having issues with the battery and tyre pressure

1) The battery seems to have gone completely flat one week after a full recharge (battery tender) - I couldn't locate a light or an electrical drain that had been left on.  Any advice on how to proceed here? My thought is to replace the battery (likely 3+ yrs old) and then go from there. Any suggestions here?  Where should I get the battery?

2) The tyre pressure is leaking unevenly amongst the tyres. One in particular is losing c5 more PSI every month or so vs the others.  I took the car to Lexus a yr ago, asking them to inspect the wheels (thinking bent rim, bead giving way) and they couldn't find anything.  Any suggestions here?

Thanks in advance!

1. Run the car in READY MODE regularly as detailed in the Handbook.

2. I have same problem with my GS,so I merely check the pressure fortnightly and pump up as necessary, John.

1. If you can park the car reasonably close to an electrical socket get a trickle charger (eg Ctek MXS 5.0). That will keep the Battery in good nick and may well revive the one you have.

2. You could well have an object in the tyre. Remove the wheel and examine the tyre very closely - look all round each tread block. Things like thorns from a hedge or some wire nails can be very tiny indeed. If you find something, mark the spot with chalk and take the wheel to a tyre place for a puncture repair. Or you could try putting Puncture Safe (www.puncturesafe.co.uk) into the tyre. It is a magical gel sort of stuff which can stay permanently in the tyre. It is designed to be put into a tyre before a puncture occurs but it works well put in after so long as the puncture isn't too much into the sidewall. I have it in one of my tyres (put in 18 months ago) and it is also in one of the tyres on my daughter's car - I found two objects in her tyre, both causing leaks. Puncture Safe has sealed them completely and this was 6 months ago.

It is best not used in front wheels - although they claim it doesn't affect balance - well it does, slightly. You need to put about 18 units in a GS tyre.

• Like 1

For the tyre pressure I've had similar in the past. Found that it was the valve stem not seating right after inflation. First of all take the dust cap off and with a bit of spittle form a bubble over the valve and see if any air is coming out. If it is (and even if you don't see any air coming out this is worth a try) first pump over the running pressure and the let a good amount of air out to try and clear any rubbish from around the valve - also try "flicking" the valve open a number of time so it seals shut quickly - I have found this has cured a couple of small valve leaks in the past. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Werewolf1976 said:

Getting a clicking sound from the fuse box...the car is so dead the unlock button doesnt trigger anything...

Possibly sounds like a failed relay. Open the fuse box up - you should be able to determine which relay it is. Quite possibly that's what's been causing the Battery to go flat.

Whilst relays can sometimes be fixed, the best course of action is to replace.

33 minutes ago, johnatg said:

Possibly sounds like a failed relay. Open the fuse box up - you should be able to determine which relay it is. Quite possibly that's what's been causing the battery to go flat.

Whilst relays can sometimes be fixed, the best course of action is to replace.

Got a multimeter and a new Battery coming tomorrow - will troubleshoot and take it to a garage if my limited skills fail....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links