Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Tesla powerwall with solar

Phil xxkr

We've had a PW installed for over 2 years now, its paired up to a 4KW solar PV setup (50% slit SW/SE facing roof).

The PW hardware is pretty slick, it sits in out kitchen pantry and has been maintenance free since installation, the warranty is 10 years I believe. 

49023504862_8cdb8a0c5a_c_d.jpg

The PW software is run from the Tesla app, if you have a car it will let you control charging of the car based on off peak/peak rates. 

49013725386_b164f0c6f3_c_d.jpg

Looking at the App data, in the last 2 years its discharged 6MW, we have used solar PV to charge it 44% of the time, the rest of the time I charge the PW using cheap off peak electricity. It essentially means even during winter we don't use much peak rate electricity. 

51889864769_c397d9f38d_c_d.jpg

51890188860_02ab9bcfca_c_d.jpg

In the summer months there are days/weeks when we use hardly any grid electricity even with charging the EV. Overall the PW has been a very impressive bit of kit, the software integration is second to none interms of user interface and ease of data access. There are cheaper Battery storage solutions around though if you don't care own a Tesla car/care about software integration. As far as am concerned solar PV + Battery should become the standard normal for all houses, much like a flushing toilet and running water. The biggest barrier at present remains cost - like so many other things in life. 

51116201732_40fef241b8_c_d.jpg

Isn't the Tesla PW overpriced for the storage capacity? My dad has a large Growatt installation, he considered the PW but after researching and discussing with installers the cost was astronomical in comparison. I guess it depends what you intend to 'get out of it' - hope that makes sense? Cost in vs. reward back out is a big factor.

As an example, my dads system charges the batteries, excess energy heats hot water, used for appliances that are currently drawing a lot or sent back to the grid. He can use the stored energy to power lights, appliances, heat hot water etc through the evening without issue. He really put it to the test by charging a Smart EV as well! (albeit a very small car).

He has recently purchased an I-Pace and can 'top up' the Battery on that but due to its much larger Battery and charge time required is not feasible to try and fully charge.

Battery prices are a little all over the place currently and my only suggestion (which you may have already done) is research until you're sick of it 😆

8 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Isn't the Tesla PW overpriced for the storage capacity? 

The PW is very expensive and prices have been going UP recently not down. However if you own a Tesla car already its a no brainer as the software integration is absolutely seemless. There is no faffing with APIs, or having to setup your own web portals/databases it all just works.

Am seriously considering adding another PW to the house and more solar. But we have a big structural build project coming up for which the budget currently is going the wrong way :(.

But essentially any Battery + solar PV setup really opens up options for changing your grid energy consumption.

10 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Isn't the Tesla PW overpriced for the storage capacity? My dad has a large Growatt installation, he considered the PW but after researching and discussing with installers the cost was astronomical in comparison. I guess it depends what you intend to 'get out of it' - hope that makes sense? Cost in vs. reward back out is a big factor.

As an example, my dads system charges the batteries, excess energy heats hot water, used for appliances that are currently drawing a lot or sent back to the grid. He can use the stored energy to power lights, appliances, heat hot water etc through the evening without issue. He really put it to the test by charging a Smart EV as well! (albeit a very small car).

He has recently purchased an I-Pace and can 'top up' the battery on that but due to its much larger battery and charge time required is not feasible to try and fully charge.

Battery prices are a little all over the place currently and my only suggestion (which you may have already done) is research until you're sick of it 😆

Thanks Kieran, and your comment on research-I'm getting there 🤯. I don't figure an EV in my immediate future but who knows? So my near-term thoughts are, it's difficult to see energy prices reducing in any significant way, conversely I don't see interest rates rising signicantly. A complete installation costs circa 12k or maybe £180 in interest if sitting in a bank account. As I understand things so far a pv&battery can reduce energy costs by 20%, ie in excess of interest which inflation is of course reducing as energy costs rise. 

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The PW is very expensive and prices have been going UP recently not down. However if you own a Tesla car already its a no brainer as the software integration is absolutely seemless. There is no faffing with APIs, or having to setup your own web portals/databases it all just works.

Am seriously considering adding another PW to the house and more solar. But we have a big structural build project coming up for which the budget currently is going the wrong way :(.

But essentially any battery + solar PV setup really opens up options for changing your grid energy consumption.

Great feedback Gang, thank-you so much. Yes, I note PW is expensive but it consistently tops out tables for performance, capacity, cycles, DoD, operating temp etc. And, it can go on an outside wall. And it's from a dedicated Battery manufacturer not some recent start-up 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:21 PM, hockeyedwards said:

Isn't the Tesla PW overpriced for the storage capacity?

It's not too overpriced for the capacity you get, the rated output, warranty and the full home isolation. But you don't have any choice, you either have a top of the range system or nothing.

Suggestion is that the PW v3 will use LFP batteries which are much more suited as a home storage system - I'd wait but there is no knowledge of when that refresh will happen. Using LFP will be much cheaper to manufacture too, whether any of that gets passed on to the consumer remains to be seen.

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

It's not too overpriced for the capacity you get, the rated output, warranty and the full home isolation. But you don't have any choice, you either have a top of the range system or nothing.

Suggestion is that the PW v3 will use LFP batteries which are much more suited as a home storage system - I'd wait but there is no knowledge of when that refresh will happen. Using LFP will be much cheaper to manufacture too, whether any of that gets passed on to the consumer remains to be seen.

Yes, I read PW3 available in the USA but nothing here as yet, and concur with the rest of your comments 👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Yes, I read PW3 available in the USA but nothing here as yet, and concur with the rest of your comments 👍

As ever with Tesla no one knows any timings :).

The PWs are great bits of kit though, I rate the engineering in the PW MORE than our car. The PW is literally on and doing something- charging or recharging 24/7.

In 2 years I've only ever had to 'reset' it once, and that wasn't really necessary. It just works and works well.

The Tesla eco system though is a slippery slope, you cannot really have a PW and not a car as well. Everytime you open the App your be reminded on what you are missing out on for the car side of things, like deforsting the car and seeing how much energy it takes to melt some minor ice - yes nearly 10KW!!!, hence why I want another PW :).

]51821506861_5879fe04d3_c_d.jpg

47 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

As ever with Tesla no one knows any timings :).

The PWs are great bits of kit though, I rate the engineering in the PW MORE than our car. The PW is literally on and doing something- charging or recharging 24/7.

In 2 years I've only ever had to 'reset' it once, and that wasn't really necessary. It just works and works well.

The Tesla eco system though is a slippery slope, you cannot really have a PW and not a car as well. Everytime you open the App your be reminded on what you are missing out on for the car side of things, like deforsting the car and seeing how much energy it takes to melt some minor ice - yes nearly 10KW!!!, hence why I want another PW :).

]51821506861_5879fe04d3_c_d.jpg

May I ask who you used to supply and install your system? Thanks 

Ours was fitted and supplied via a company called CarbonLegacy. There was loads of paperwork involved, including a decent wait for Tesla to just deliver the hardware. Had to get DNO sign off, and because our solar PV setup is under the FIT scheme there was paperwork with that too. But well worthwhile doing.  

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Ours was fitted and supplied via a company called CarbonLegacy. There was loads of paperwork involved, including a decent wait for Tesla to just deliver the hardware. Had to get DNO sign off, and because our solar PV setup is under the FIT scheme there was paperwork with that too. But well worthwhile doing.  

👍Thanks 

Sorry for the delayed re-visit to this thread, took a week off being online!

Deege solar are the company that fitted my dads set-up, just to throw another hat into the mix. Incredible job and very knowledgeable guys.

After my workshop is complete and it starts generating come income, will look to finance a solar install on my own home. Have some basic and very old panels currently, but want to also go down the energy storage route.

Nice little discussion thread 🙂

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Sorry for the delayed re-visit to this thread, took a week off being online!

Deege solar are the company that fitted my dads set-up, just to throw another hat into the mix. Incredible job and very knowledgeable guys.

After my workshop is complete and it starts generating come income, will look to finance a solar install on my own home. Have some basic and very old panels currently, but want to also go down the energy storage route.

Nice little discussion thread 🙂

Thanks Kieran much appreciated 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links