Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

LS400 strange starting issue

I had a strange issue this morning and I hope someone can maybe shed some light on the possible cause.
I have had the LS400 on an Optimate 4 trickle charger/conditioner on the car since Saturday, this morning I decided it's had long enough and I'm going to take it work.
I have an intermittent 'VSC off' where the 'VSC off' light comes on, I can counter this by keeping my foot on the brake for a while while starting. This is to explain the reason I switched the car off and tried to start it again and I've not had an issue with starting at all since I bought the car.
This morning I forgot to keep my foot on the brake, car started spot on, set off to work but just down down the road are some road works, stopped at the lights and I switched off the engine and then went to restart to get rid of the 'VSC off' light as normal...................car cranked fine but didn't start. Tried a few times without success so had to roll it out of the way because lights had gone to green.
Tried a few more times, fired into life but struggled/spluttered a bit like it was a fuel issue. Carried on to work and it ran as normal, parked up, opened bonnet and checked for any noises but all ok then switched off.
I didn't try to start it again but will need to start it at 4pm when I finish work, if it doesn't start then it's a call to the Mrs to pick me up!!
Just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this type of starting issue, it may not do it again like the 'dash lights off/ignition switch issue'.
Maybe it didn't like what I did and how I did it.........

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

My guess is engine got flooded.

There has been 1/2 threads about this on this forum a while back.

Why did you switch the engine off at the lights?

Sounds like it could be, it did sound fuel related.
I switched it off and then started again to get rid of the 'VSC off' light while I was waiting for the lights to change (they are 4 x way so take quite a while), otherwise it would bug me all the way to work (only 9 miles but still bugs).
I won't do it again that's for sure.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

There has been 1/2 threads about this on this forum a while back

I did a search and found the thread/s, it matches the symptoms. Started, drove a short distance, switched off then tried to start again.
You live and learn and as said before I won't do that again!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Razor61 said:

Started, drove a short distance, switched off then tried to start again.

confirm it has occurred with me too .  I put it down to fuel flooding and totally my fault for being silly and not driving her properly

Malc

Mmmmmmmh, I wonder.........................maybe it's my old friend the 'EFI temp sensor' which causes the cutting out issue after a decent run and stopping on the mk3.
I'll order one and replace it, I was thinking about replacing it anyway and this has made my mind up. It is a different part number but does the same job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, messi said:

Just out of curiosity, where is the temp sensor located?

Front LH side of the engine at the top. looking from the front of the car. The pic below will help.

image.thumb.png.9a4b91cbd2eb4f6c0767cf725aefb4db.png

1 hour ago, Razor61 said:

I'll order one and replace it,

can you please do it pronto :wink3: .  I'd like to know if it really is that simple to overcome the silly Mk3 " cutting out "

Thank you

Malc

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

The Mark 3 cutting out (when slowing down from a run) is due to dirty throttle body.

It may be one cure for it but for my mk3 it was the ECT Sensor and maybe the sensor combined with an updated ECU. I can't say for sure but I'd plump for the ECT Sensor on it's own and I didn't clean the throttle body. I don't think it affects the mk4, maybe the sensor was updated.

2 hours ago, Malc said:

can you please do it pronto :wink3: .  I'd like to know if it really is that simple to overcome the silly Mk3 " cutting out "

I did it on the Mk3 I had.

• Like 1

Another job done on the car, used drivers door mirror purchased locally. Took the glass out which looks good and replaced the ‘stuck on’ glass. Pretty easy job really.
The mirror assy is from a 2000 model with the ‘fold in’ function but the glass is the same. If anyone needs a 2000 drivers door mirror assy, without the glass, let me know and it’s a burgundy colour.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links