Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

TVD simplified?

Good info though it did feel a bit glossed over at the end. I wish they had gone into more detail about the difference between braking the inside wheel and actively sending torque to the outside wheel.

36 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Good info though it did feel a bit glossed over at the end. I wish they had gone into more detail about the difference between braking the inside wheel and actively sending torque to the outside wheel.

There is a video by 'Engineering Explained' on youtube about TVD which also happen to feature the RC F, but for the life of me cannot remember which particular areas he goes into the most detail about, might be worth a shot, plus his videos in general are just nerdy and interesting.

19 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

There is a video by 'Engineering Explained' on youtube about TVD which also happen to feature the RC F, but for the life of me cannot remember which particular areas he goes into the most detail about, might be worth a shot, plus his videos in general are just nerdy and interesting.

I've seen that one too, he talks about how the clutch packs work, but not the planetary gearsets.

It seems like very few people fully understand how they work.

2 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

I've seen that one too, he talks about how the clutch packs work, but not the planetary gearsets.

It seems like very few people fully understand how they work.

Thanks for the memory jog, consume so much stuff online, hard to keep u with it all!

Witchcraft it would seem 😄

There's a pretty good writeup here: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15103905/whats-the-diff-we-put-torque-vectoring-to-the-test-feature/

The main takeaways:

• Everyone seems to agree that they make vehicles feel more nimble.
  • The planetary gearset acts as an overdrive gear to spin the wheel faster, the clutch pack slips against this "pushing" the outside wheel.
  • Real world testing does show improved lap times and cornering g-forces.
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could 100% feel the TVD at work last week on track.

My brother (who was passenger) described it almost as a kinda pushing sensation as we powered out of corners.

As driver, I could certainly feel the 'pull' around long corners which you'd normally expect to lose the rear.

Unsure I would have paid for it if I bought the car new, but very grateful for the person that did haha.

3 hours ago, BillNick said:

Could 100% feel the TVD at work last week on track.

My brother (who was passenger) described it almost as a kinda pushing sensation as we powered out of corners.

As driver, I could certainly feel the 'pull' around long corners which you'd normally expect to lose the rear.

Unsure I would have paid for it if I bought the car new, but very grateful for the person that did haha.

I agree the TVD is one of those nice to have options that you'd never tick when ordering new, but as a secondhand extra that doesn't have any influence on the retail value of the car it's a no brainer.

40 minutes ago, DamianLEX said:

It does not have influence until people realise what it is.

Like LSD/non LSD. It is just a matter of time people will pay extra £££ for it in older cars.

True, also with it being from Lexus it will always work and if it doesn't will be more than likely covered by warranty. Something that can be rarely applied to many other marques.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Maybe this is nothing new to some here, but for me personally, this is my first RWD car and with so much power available I usually err on the side of caution when it comes to applying large throttle inputs during turns. However I've had my car over a year now and getting a bit more used to its limits and when I can push harder, especially in the dry weather.

One thing I've really noticed regarding the TVD is if you're accelerating into a sweeping turn at around 50-60 mph and keep the throttle pinned in second gear (don't do this in the wet or with cold tyres!), you can feel the outside rear wheel receiving more torque and digging in, propelling you through the turn. It feels great, almost like the rear wheels are approaching the limit and slipping just a little bit, without losing control and starting to sling you sideways. Maybe this is just normal oversteer and I'm just finding out for myself another reason people love RWD cars, but I feel like there was a bit more going on. The outside rear really seemed to be generating extra traction and pushing the car in a way that caused a little extra rotation, but it felt very stable and planted at the same time.

Maybe this stability makes perfect sense, as while you're cornering the outside wheels have more weight transferred onto them and therefore more available grip, so if you can apply the correct proportion of torque to each wheel, you'll maximise acceleration without causing either wheel to spin.

This is the real benefit of the TVD, the way it can send proportionally more torque to the wheel with the most grip, and less to the one with lower grip, which takes advantage of the weight transfer when cornering. This sounds kind of obvious in hindsight, but to me the way it was explained before never quite clicked. Something like "helps rotate the car through the turn", which may be true, but always came across as a bit of a dumbed-down explanation.

FYI, I was just in the standard TVD mode during all of this and it's the mode I use most of the time. Slalom mode seems to exaggerate the effect and make it a bit more obvious, it's fun at slower speeds, with Track it's more subtle. I like normal mode, it's a nice balance between the two.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links