Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Doh, dead battery incident

13 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

It depends. Some cars have direct connection even when off, others only when ACC on, or only when IG is on. Or combination of some sockets working on some modes, whilst other don't.

Lexus seems to only allow some ports to work on ACC and some on IG. Although in this case I can't see rationale for using socket - after all it feeds from battery which is already dead. 

Compact Jumper batteries can feed though the cig socket to jump start the car

https://www.acc4u.co.uk/collections/jump-starters/products/black-decker-12v-cigarette-lighter-plug-in-car-battery-booster-jump-starter

25 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Lexus seems to only allow some ports to work

You can connect to the obd port as there are two pins that are constant 12v to/from the 12v Battery as the cigarette lighter is controlled via ignition I believe 

8 minutes ago, peniole said:

Huh, surely no one is starting a car through the cigarette lighter plug. The starter motor draws what like 700 Amps while the cigarette lighter wires can take maybe 30 lol.

I thought @B1RMA just meant to get accessory power or maybe to charge the Battery up a bit.

33 minutes ago, peniole said:

Makes sense - I got the same with GB40. However, my point - I don't think they are intended to be charged from dead Battery. Rather assumption is that you come with fully charged booster, start the car if it needs boosting, connect the charger to socket whilst you drive to your destination just to recharge what you used to start the car and then if the car dies again, then boost it again... and circle continues. However, to charge the booster fully it may require driving for a while, certainly not for 15min.

There are different type of booster based on capacitors and they work differently, you connect them directly to "dead" Battery and it charges from the Battery to give you one last charge. Personally, I think they are the most likely way to damage the Battery.

15 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

You can connect to the obd port as there are two pins that are constant 12v to/from the 12v battery as the cigarette lighter is controlled via ignition I believe 

That is probably correct for RC, but I know some RX/NX have ports in the boot which works under different modes. As well I am sure USB ports works on just ACC. Point being - Various cars have various configurations, so it is not the case that "modern" cars don't enable sockets only in IG.

The whole idea of using the cigarette socket was to power the car so as to move the gear selector, not start it. Remember I had the calvary ready with jump leads it was moving it that presented a problem. Like I said I always thought that it was a heavy duty link to the Battery which I'm sure it was in my older cars.

Again, I think it's a case of reading the manual.

Certainly, none of the 12V power/cig lighter sockets in my 2018 RX will work with power off. The car must be in either ACC or READY for power to be available at these sockets, therefore no booster could be plugged into one and be expected to provide power into the car.

I would assume the same to be true of all Lexus models/variants but who knows - that's something only an owners manual will tell you.

54 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Huh, surely no one is starting a car through the cigarette lighter plug. The starter motor draws what like 700 Amps while the cigarette lighter wires can take maybe 30 lol.

I thought @B1RMA just meant to get accessory power or maybe to charge the battery up a bit.

The one that Peniole linked to is not intended to start the car, but rather to be left connected for, say, 20-25 minutes to push a charge into the flat car Battery, which can then be used to start the car.

@B1RMA happens to the best of us mate 😆 - if you don't know, you don't know. Seems that everyone else is a right swat judging by some of the less tasteful comments 🤷‍♂️😉, live and learn, and then have a laugh about it after!

Out of interest, is it still the original Battery? I have Yuasa Silver in both my GS and LS, they never miss a beat and the LS isn't on a CTEK, it just braves it out week after week, poor thing 🤣. I only ask as the GS and LS both suffered knackered batteries over lockdown, GS having its OEM and a cell went in it, the LS having essentially a load of AA batteries taped together and a Lion sticker on it 😛😆

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The one that Peniole linked to is not intended to start the car, but rather to be left connected for, say, 20-25 minutes to push a charge into the flat car battery, which can then be used to start the car.

Well with a hybrid, technically you could start it from the cig lighter, you'll only be using those jump batteries to start up the dead electrical systems, the traction Battery would take care of spinning up the electric motor and subsequently the actual engine. Assuming of course the traction Battery still has charge and that cig circuit is connected when car is off.

10 minutes ago, peniole said:

Assuming of course the traction battery still has charge and that cig circuit is connected when car is off.

That was my point - it isn't - certainly not in the 2013 RX I used to have and the 2018 RX I now have.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

@B1RMA happens to the best of us mate 😆 - if you don't know, you don't know. Seems that everyone else is a right swat judging by some of the less tasteful comments 🤷‍♂️😉, live and learn, and then have a laugh about it after!

Out of interest, is it still the original battery? I have Yuasa Silver in both my GS and LS, they never miss a beat and the LS isn't on a CTEK, it just braves it out week after week, poor thing 🤣. I only ask as the GS and LS both suffered knackered batteries over lockdown, GS having its OEM and a cell went in it, the LS having essentially a load of AA batteries taped together and a Lion sticker on it 😛😆

I imagine it's still the original as I haven't changed it. I will change it this year if I get another problem. I don't imagine I'll be caught out again as it was a bit of a wake up call and have taken measures to ensure the possibility is minimised.

9 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That was my point - it isn't - certainly not in the 2013 RX I used to have and the 2018 RX I now have.

Thank God we can still access the jump points in the engine bay without electricity (cable latch release). Can you open the boot (and Battery therein) when the 12v is dead? It's an electronic release on mine.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Thank God we can still access the jump points in the engine bay without electricity (cable latch release). Can you open the boot (and battery therein) when the 12v is dead? It's an electronic release on mine.

On the RC there's a keyhole hidden under the lip where the boot release is.

4 hours ago, B1RMA said:

Boost XL GB50, did ponder getting a couple of the lower output units to stick in my vans as Halfords have them for £99 the GB 50 is a lot more powerful but still compact.

Thanks for posting btw. I went to try and buy jumper cables a while back, but they didn't have beefy enough ones for the RCF and most cars would probably struggle to start it anyway. That power pack looks to make a lot more sense.

3 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

On the RC there's a keyhole hidden under the lip where the boot release is.

Went back to the manual. I only remembered the under door handle keyhole. Found the boot one on the ES on page 546, on the other side of the license plate under the lip mirroring the button release location.

3 hours ago, peniole said:

Can you open the boot (and battery therein) when the 12v is dead? It's an electronic release on mine.

Not on the RX, no. You have to use the mechanical key to open the door and then you can either crawl into the back to open the tailgate with the mechanical release (not likely) or pull the bonnet release and connect a jump pack/leads there.

11 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Thanks for posting btw. I went to try and buy jumper cables a while back, but they didn't have beefy enough ones for the RCF and most cars would probably struggle to start it anyway. That power pack looks to make a lot more sense.

I like the idea that you can charge them up and leave them unused for months (well according to some YouTube content) I think I got the power rating 1500 A about right there is the next model up is 1750 A but that is £175 the one I bought was £150 and I may just buy another as I run three vehicles.

It's a small unit too so you can easily put it in whatever vehicle you are using, there is an optional lead that can go on your Battery which I also bought it's supposed to be spark proof too.

4 hours ago, B1RMA said:

I like the idea that you can charge them up and leave them unused for months (well according to some YouTube content) I think I got the power rating 1500 A about right there is the next model up is 1750 A but that is £175 the one I bought was £150 and I may just buy another as I run three vehicles.

It's a small unit too so you can easily put it in whatever vehicle you are using, there is an optional lead that can go on your battery which I also bought it's supposed to be spark proof too.

Yeah, I saw one with a guy who owned a towing company and it managed to start a 6.0 truck with ease even though it only had 2 bars of charge. He said it gets used daily as well. Very reassuring, and honestly I'm surprised they don't cost a lot more.

I picked one up at Halfords - even got a decent deal with my trade card.

Assuming it lasts a few years it will pay for itself in peace of mind alone, even if I never have to use it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links