Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

BEV to replace my RX450h (eventually)

Guess like a lot of motor addicts I sometimes contemplate with anticipation what my next car might be. 

Yesterday, I chanced to be passing a Kia dealership in Barnstaple and noticed a low milage Hyundai Ionic 5 parked next to a new Kia Ev6.  These cars seem to be the most favoured models in their class at present and indeed have received plaudits from a number of motoring journalists who have tested them in both in the UK and elsewhere.  So of course I just had to park up and have a looksee and a brief chat with a salesman.   I didn't like the styling of the Ionic 5 with its slab sided panels only broken up slightly by a diagonal crease across the doors with a few lines horizontally along the bottom or the old looking very ordinary shape at the front.  Unquestionably, there was a lot of space including a large boot but I didn't like the internal design and thought it looked rather cheap.  This is a pity because testers report favourably on it's handling if somewhat dead steering and its comfort. The 4 wheel drive version has a claimed 0-60mph acceleration of 3.5 seconds so very quick and the 2 wheel drive 5 seconds.  Furthermore, it has very fast charging and 20,000 mile or 2 year servicing is good as is the 5 year warranty)   By comparison, although using the same chassis , the Ev6 is lower and more streamlined with shorter windows and is less room, so perhaps less suited for a family but you get a 7 year warranty). However,  the interior did look appreciably better.  Neither car had a rear wiper which salesman said was unnecessary due to airflow over screen but I am sceptical about this as unlikely to work when going slow in snow. for instance.  Generally, I don't think either car, but particularly the Ionic5, was quite up to Toyota quality.  (I am aware that at least one person in this club was opting for the Ev6 but nothing comes up using the search facility so couldn't refer). 

So in short, I would rule these out for myself before even driving them.  However, there is an upmarket version being introduced this year which  is built on the same chassis, the GV60 Genesis which is what Lexus is to Toyota.  I might well consider this used in a few years time but maybe not comfortable enough.  

Actually, I like the look of the bZ4X Toyota which  is due to be on sale in the UK this year I understand.  It's being built in collaboration with Subaru and one would expect it to be class leading.  However, it takes twice as long as the Ionic  to reach 60mph, has a smaller boot than even the Ev6 and takes longer to charge, so already behind some of the competition as is some of the VW sub brand versions.  Well, other BEVs are said to becoming available this year and next.  It will take some time to learn how they perform over time.  New large Battery factories are being built and it is expected the price of batteries, the most costly part of BEVs, will reduce and with it the price of new BEVs which will in turn adversely impact the value of used BEVs.  Seems to me best to stay with ICE for a few years and then check as more fast charges could also be available then.    

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links