Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

The most weirdest happenings

First off a very Merry Christmas to you all and hoping for a happier and healthy New Year. 

Right the weird thing. Yesterday I took my car to an asda in Heywood to do a quickish shop and to give the car a run. Yes it was wet but hey ho. This morning however when I set off for work within a few seconds my dash lit up with check VCS and AFS off etc etc. WTF I thought and on Xmas eve. Within a mile just the AFS Off was on the dash. Rollox I thought. Same happened on way home.

The weird thing though is when I set off in the dark to Leeds No warning lights on the dash at all. 

Is my car trying to tell me something. 

Gremlins… my VCS (Christmas tree lights etc) came on yesterday midway through a 125 mile journey from Heathrow to Bristol!!! Bugger I thought, car drove perfectly still, pulled in to Reading Service area, engine off, wait 2 mins, engine on then all fine all the way home!!!! 
Might interrogate it with Techstream if I can be arsed but if it drives seemingly all ok then I guess it is (almost!) all ok.🤞

The weirdest thing I ever had happen with a car was on a drive back from Denmark to Italy for Christmas in record low temperatures one winter in the 1980s.  The car was a metallic light blue Lancia Gamma Coupé, very nice in its day, if somewhat temperamental.  So intensely cold was it when I set out that the metal of the door frame on the driver’s side had become distorted, preventing the window from closing fully and forcing me to drive the entire length of Germany in snow and ice with towels and wads of paper stuffed Into a 5cm gap, the worst journey of my life.  By the time I finally crossed the Austrian border into Italy in what seemed possibly the worst in a long series of icy blizzards, I had resolved to find a hotel and wait for a lull in the weather. Then, when I stopped to fill up, I saw that the door-edge was looking flush with the rear pillar and flank and that the window, amazingly, was now able to close and open normally.  I am not the sort of person who attributes human characteristics to their car, but if there was ever an example of a car telling its owner that it was glad to be home, this was it.  And I could swear that the radiator grille at the same time took on all the appearance of a big wide grin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Rabbers said:

The weirdest thing I ever had happen with a car was on a drive back from Denmark to Italy for Christmas in record low temperatures one winter in the 1980s.  The car was a metallic light blue Lancia Gamma Coupé, very nice in its day, if somewhat temperamental.  So intensely cold was it when I set out that the metal of the door frame on the driver’s side had become distorted, preventing the window from closing fully and forcing me to drive the entire length of Germany in snow and ice with towels and wads of paper stuffed Into a 5cm gap, the worst journey of my life.  By the time I finally crossed the Austrian border into Italy in what seemed possibly the worst in a long series of icy blizzards, I had resolved to find a hotel and wait for a lull in the weather. Then, when I stopped to fill up, I saw that the door-edge was looking flush with the rear pillar and flank and that the window, amazingly, was now able to close and open normally.  I am not the sort of person who attributes human characteristics to their car, but if there was ever an example of a car telling its owner that it was glad to be home, this was it.  And I could swear that the radiator grille at the same time took on all the appearance of a big wide grin.

Brilliant! Typical of Italian females too.

VSC coming on when driving in my experience is usually gearbox related (solenoids problems, shifting-up or kicking down) and they are as well intermittent at first, so simply stopping and starting again seems to solve them for the time being. The DTC logic is as follows - at first it is "pending" DTC and shown only until engine is off, if you start the engine and stop it without it being reported again, then it disappears. So it is possible to have one DTC for solenoid shifting into 6th appear when driving, then you stop, start and it is gone. The fault only records itself permanently if it is triggered 3 consecutive time in a row. I would still check what it was, because maybe it is time for ATF "top-up" or refill.

As for codes popping up right after the start, they need to be scanned and then you can see what it was and why. Failing battery/alternator could throw random codes after cold start, as well it could be just that car was not driven for a while and Battery was on low side. But you won't know without scanning. That said you kind of lucky compared to me, because mine does not start and gives no codes (well except for immobiliser one which I am not sure what to do about), so if car starts and gives some codes that is comparatively lucky indeed. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links