Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus LFA - EV Successor...

25 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Reminds me Supra prototype (Toyota FT-1), or maybe lovechild of Aston Martin Vulcan and Supra, strange that it has Lexus badge now. 

Yeah now you mentioned the Vulcan I can't unsee it. 

I wonder what the production vehicle will look like 

31 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

Whilst excited to see what Lexus/ Toyota can bring to the market.

Mega saddens me to keep reading 'will only sell EV's by...' 😞 - what about my need for brum brum?

I don't even want to start the topic of how unsustainable that is for so many reasons... all this ban on ICE is based on unobtanium materials and miracle yet to happen technologies. I don't want to be absolute pessimist and say it is not possible, but it is fair just to point out that solutions do not exist yet, they need to be developed and our goverment is making policy on something they don't understand and without robust plans to make it work. It is all great to have such "desire", but that is not enough, it won't happen by itself.

1 hour ago, Arnett said:

Yeah now you mentioned the Vulcan I can't unsee it. 

I wonder what the production vehicle will look like 

I hope it won't be like that FT-1 Prototype... looked amazing as prototype and in production it was fit to undersized Z4 platform hardpoints and looks just all chubby and ugly. I still can't understand the reason why they couldn't have made it on LC platform - Toyota owner it, it had all right proportions and it was even right model in the lineage... Previous supra shared platform with SC which is predecessor for LC... it just makes so little sense that they went BMW Zupra route. 

I would as well question why EV would need such a long bonnet... almost as if it needs to house V16 up front. Being EV it would make far more sense to have more "mid-engine" looking car like Lotus Evija.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I don't even want to start the topic of how unsustainable that is for so many reasons... all this ban on ICE is based on unobtanium materials and miracle yet to happen technologies. I don't want to be absolute pessimist and say it is not possible, but it is fair just to point out that solutions do not exist yet, they need to be developed and our goverment is making policy on something they don't understand and without robust plans to make it work. It is all great to have such "desire", but that is not enough, it won't happen by itself.

Complete agreeance with you (might be a 1st, haha), we've definitely discussed this on other threads.

Volvo compared XC40 ICE and XC40 BEV, the BEV was more polluting to make...

A study showed in the run up to ICE's death date, that the population growth in China and India would contribute more CO2 than that saved...

However, can't wait for the policy u-turn and the governments flip-flop to suddenly state ICE's are once again environmentally friendly 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Mega saddens me to keep reading 'will only sell EV's by...' 😞 - what about my need for brum brum?

That's because other stuff is still early doors, remember EV was once a pipe dream. 

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/11/15/toyotas-team-japan-aims-to-save-internal-combustion-engine-from-extinction/

3 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Complete agreeance with you (might be a 1st, haha), we've definitely discussed this on other threads.

A study showed in the run up to ICE's death date, that the population growth in China and India would contribute more CO2 than that saved...

However, can't wait for the policy u-turn and the governments flip-flop to suddenly state ICE's are once again environmentally friendly 🤣

You may we'll get your "Brum Brum" in the future. According to a December article in the Economist the population of India is in decline, and no longer at replacement level, the same goes for Japan and much of Europe! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

Partly because Volvo hasn't optimised their BEV manufacturing? Even so the overall lifetime pollution is less, and the upfront manufacturing pollution is mainly produced in a centralised environments (factories) where it can be better controlled/contained.

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Partly because Volvo hasn't optimised their BEV manufacturing?

Definitely agree

12 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Even so the overall lifetime pollution is less

Is it? Do you have any links for info, would be a good read for me!

Fairly sure you have to travel some mega mileage in the BEV to become net 0, ironically the chargers are supplied by non-renewable energy as well - I am of course aware this can change. Also intrigued into the recyclability at the end of a batteries life? Guess we'll start finding out soon enough!

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Is it? Do you have any links for info, would be a good read for me!

There have been multiple studies but the Volvo report itself shows this over 125k miles:

image.thumb.png.7bd47aca1afa1c43cbfbaab3f7143064.png

https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-/media/Market-Assets/INTL/Applications/DotCom/PDF/C40/Volvo-C40-Recharge-LCA-report.pdf

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Also intrigued into the recyclability at the end of a batteries life?

This is a problem.

Nissan use some of their end of life / removed packs as home energy store batteries where total capacity and space isn't so critical to give them a new life.

Newer Battery designs coming out are more recyclable, as are batteries that use less precious or harmful materials. Things will definitely improve - we are really at the infancy of BEVs compared to decades of development in ICE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

There have been multiple studies but the Volvo report itself shows this over 125k miles:

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

we are really at the infancy of BEVs compared to decades of development in ICE.

Yup I agree, still don't think they are permanent future, stop gap technology until a better breakthrough happens - don't know what that could be. Hope we get brum brum ability though 🤣

The front end looks very McLaren to me, with the overall bodyshape reminding me more of a TVR. I wonder why they are choosing to go for a super-long bonnet for a car that's presumably being built from the ground up as an EV? Looks like those hood vents are possibly aero ducts, maybe routing air through radiators etc.

I quite like the look of it, it's just that nothing about it particularly says "LFA" to me, except maybe those rear intakes.

The orange one behind honestly looks more supercar-ish to me, anyone know what that is?

There aren't many EV "driver's cars" yet. I hope this is Lexus making some.

5 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

it's just that nothing about it particularly says "LFA" to me

Think it is tech inspired from lessons learned from LFA development or something that extent, rather than looking like it.

5 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

The orange one behind

Toyota concept - there is a youtube video with the whole unveil, some interesting reveals and half decent panel of questions afterwards.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links