Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Fuel panic!

Mincey

Whatever ones opinion about EVs the reality is that demand outstrips supply by a factor of 2. Just look at the latest Uk salesfigs, compared to last year EV sales doubled with Tesla as absolute King of them all. The Tesla model Y is expected to be the bestselling car within some months. WORLDWIDE.  Plug in is expected to disappear within 3 yrs as the transition to EV is gaining momentum rapidly. Also it is expected production of EV will be more profitable than ICE within 2 to 3 years. Toyota/Lexus is late to the party but they are now throwing their full weight in. Its all about EV. Private sales ( so non company cars) in Scandinavia and Netherlands now at 40%).

However that does not mean you cannot drive you V8 until the end of time of course you can!

And then there is another thing.. There is an opinion within the industry that screens ( is say that again SCREENS ) are more important to younger buyers than the overall design or brand of the car. Old farts like me still call it a dashboard but apparently the kids see a car as their phone. Swipe/internet/visuals/grapics without a nanosecond delay/true black and whatever.  And guess where the Chinese excell? 

In my idea it will take no longer than 3 years before the Chinese brands are settled over here. 

Last remark. apple did a survey amongst Tesla customers and the outcome was that 70% was ready to move to an apple car if it was available. Worrying figures Mr Musk!

2 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I agree that hybrid would probably have been a better interim solution or, rather than an ICE/electric motor hybrid, perhaps an EV with a small petrol generator built in. Don't know how practical that would be though.

Like our i3 REX? 😉

We have 120-130 miles Battery and if really needed for example on a long journey and no chargers are available another 70-80 miles of petrol power to supplement the Battery until a charger is found.

We’ve had the i3 almost seven years now and only ever needed to use the REX generator twice.

But range anxiety is not a “thing”.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

if you do 300 miles per week you only have to charge once a week with todays cars? the BM was one of the first ( 8 yrs ago!) and technology has moved on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

but even now the legislation demands the system must have a user over ride.

I wonder how long for - as the tech will be in place it will be easy for them to take away this option if the grid becomes overloaded...

2 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Like our i3 REX? 😉

We have 120-130 miles battery and if really needed for example on a long journey and no chargers are available another 70-80 miles of petrol power to supplement the battery until a charger is found.

We’ve had the i3 almost seven years now and only ever needed to use the REX generator twice.

I wasn't aware of such a thing David. Does the petrol engine provide any propulsion, or is it simply a charger for the Battery?

4 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

As such, it would seem to me that anything that could give us options, and move us a step closer to energy independence, would be a good thing.

we have bundles of effectively UK owned and free oil reserves just off the Falklands which our guys went to war over and several hundred died sadly

So. we do have this abundance of oil reserves so let's just set BP etc onto the case and bring it home eh !

It's not renewables but so what ! what on earth does it matter when it's all gone in about the year 2522 then we can go for the Brazil oil reserves just up the road which are just about as much as the world has actually ever used or is likely to use over these next few hundred years 

I really don't get this foreboding on using oil and gas non renewables  ........  dig up all those rare minerals instead to make EVs stuff  ..  what's the conceptual differences please ....  It's beyond me to comprehend obviously.  what the Green Brigade understands

Simply dig for all this abundant and free oil and gas and burn it cleanly  .  that's the key

Put money and research into developing effective Clean Burn  ..  and save the planet that way and allow me to run my V8  4 ltr limo for ever ........  please

Malc

14 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I wasn't aware of such a thing David. Does the petrol engine provide any propulsion, or is it simply a charger for the battery?

It is not connected to the wheels in any mechanical way, it provides an electric charge for the Battery whilst driving.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

if you do 300 miles per week you only have to charge once a week with todays cars? the BM was one of the first ( 8 yrs ago!) and technology has moved on

True, the last i3 had a 170-180 miles range with a larger Battery but they could not be bought with the range extender option, which is why we never changed ours as our usage pattern fits the smaller battery/REX perfectly.

I’d hate to be driving 300 miles a week tbh, those days have long gone.😉

14 hours ago, Malc1 said:

we have bundles of effectively UK owned and free oil reserves just off the Falklands which our guys went to war over and several hundred died sadly

So. we do have this abundance of oil reserves so let's just set BP etc onto the case and bring it home eh !

It's not renewables but so what ! what on earth does it matter when it's all gone in about the year 2522 then we can go for the Brazil oil reserves just up the road which are just about as much as the world has actually ever used or is likely to use over these next few hundred years 

I really don't get this foreboding on using oil and gas non renewables  ........  dig up all those rare minerals instead to make EVs stuff  ..  what's the conceptual differences please ....  It's beyond me to comprehend obviously.  what the Green Brigade understands

Simply dig for all this abundant and free oil and gas and burn it cleanly  .  that's the key

Put money and research into developing effective Clean Burn  ..  and save the planet that way and allow me to run my V8  4 ltr limo for ever ........  please

Malc

9B3125F1-1698-4162-B95A-E4337008BD36.thumb.jpeg.49f485fb4d53c97ab46c8f22bf7178fa.jpeg

🤣

• Like 2

I'm sure it's not just Nissan who use a 'donkey' engine. I'm sure I've seen another manufacturer do that to. 

Toyota have it bang on in my opinion with their hydrogen car.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm sure it's not just Nissan who use a 'donkey' engine. I'm sure I've seen another manufacturer do that to.

That's marketing for you... make a bold claim and unless another company takes exception it sticks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

It is not connected to the wheels in any mechanical way, it provides an electric charge for the battery whilst driving.

Cool. That sounds like the ideal interim solution. The benefits of EV, with it's own on board charging when needed.

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

But would you rather have my V8 Ls400 or maybe 285 of the above  😂

Malc 

285 of the above ofcourse! Enough steak to keep me going through the winter

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey that's a heck of a lot for just One winter 😳 

yea just found out think i was a bit too ambitious. Average horse is 300kg say 160 kg good meat times 285 = 45600 kgs!

My size steak will be 220 grams so if i cut them all up and vacuum the steaks i will have 207.272 steaks. Winter is 4 months times 30 days is 120 days which equals 1727 steaks per day!! Something tells me that is not going to work.

Interested in buying some?

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

And the Belgium frites to go with them 😉

only had cheval the once, in about 1982 or so when I took all 4 of my ( very young then ) kids on a holiday park tour of France ....  quite enjoyed it but never been offered it since .......  I'll pass on more, even the Poirot frites

Malc

• Like 1

I believe horse meat is really nice. Never tried it though. I have however had Aligator, Buffalo and Snake a good few decades ago. A one of a kind restaurant in Manchester which had all kinds of exotica and cocktails galore. Weird how it closed after just a year or so.

I'll pass on the horse steaks thanks. 

22 hours ago, Malc1 said:

Malc

Agree with you that the difference between digging oil and rare earth is that there probably is more oil; but both are not really good to use.

Also, I did not know that the oil you mention belong to the UK. Do not believe all world think that is correct.

8 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

It is not connected to the wheels in any mechanical way, it provides an electric charge for the battery whilst driving.

In 2011 the Chevrolet Volt (in Europe - Opel Ampera) did the same thing. Never really sold that well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links