Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

LS400 aftermarket wheels. What are they?

21 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

They look very '90's Mercedes' to me, but they were not quite as flat as pictured above. Likely aftermarket?

I had the same thought. They are a little like the Sportline alloy that was sold on the 190E (possibly others, too), but with slightly 'squarer' holes. I quite like them.

I'm pretty sure that they're not Mercedes because German manufacturers tend to use a different PCD on the wheel studs. My assumption is that the Japanese measurement of 114.3mm may be based on the imperial equivalent of 4.5", so might be American in origin.

Having said that, I also like the early "pie dish" SC430 wheels, although apparently the offset is different.

image.png.92a5f907edb6db31f02641ff68865732.png

Yeah defo not actual Merc wheels, just Merc-esque! You say about the PCD, my LS came with some banged up Merc wheels that I actually sold back to the guy as it was blasphemy to have them on a Lexus 😆, so maybe there is occasionaly crossover? SC wheels do look good on the LS, see a lot on the facebook groups alongside euroline type wheels too. DHP wheels are quite sort after as well, although not my cup of tea. For once I've actually been more of a simple design wheel.

1 hour ago, Jez.w said:

They look like Oz roulette alloys

Most similar.

A very german scene type wheel. If you want similar, try the above, compomotive TH, ronal turbo etc

Hello Howard, I thought I would mention that when I had my 1999 LS400, twenty years ago. It was a great car, especially for it’s very comfortable ride… I bought it from Lexus Plymouth, as well as an SC430, and was friendly with the Sales Manager. I was talked into changing the wheels on my LS400 to the better looking, Lexus Option wheels, for the LS400… The car did look better…! 20 years ago there were several sections of concrete roads. The M5 had two concrete sections between Exeter and Bristol. Before I changed the wheels, the LS400’s ride was so good… I didn’t know when I was on either of the concrete sections. All I felt was the slight bump when going from the tarmac onto the concrete… and vice a versa… With the Lexus Option wheels fitted, the ride changed, and when I was on the concrete, I knew it…! The ride was actually terrible…! I shouldn’t have been talked into changing the wheels to the Lexus Option wheels…!

Couple of photos attached. I don’t know if the photos were taken, before or after, the wheels had been changed… I am sure other Forum members with LS400’s, must have experienced the very comfortable ride changing, when changing the non-standard LS400 wheels…

I know that there are probably only a few concrete roads remaining, but the LS400’s standard wheels, gave my LS400 probably the best comfortable ride than any of the other cars I have had, including Range Rover’s with air suspension…! I will stop waffling now…! 

One of the photos is of my son washing the LS400. I used to drive it down into my two quarries, and when he was home, he always moaned at me, for getting the LS400 so dirty, and would wash it for me…! If I could find a photo of it, of how dirty I used to get it, and post it on the Forum. I think many LS400 owners would be surprised…!

400 Rear 2.JPG

430 Front 2.JPG

Blackhill_Crushers.JPG

Lean Quarry.JPG

LS 400.jpeg

• Like 1

Kevin, those Ls400 wheels look to be probably original ......  and the ride in my car has always been just superb .............  never thought to change the original wheels BUT they do certainly need refurbishing ........  now, where's the cheque book !😲

Malc

I'm very much in two minds about changing the wheels for bigger ones because I have seen plenty of comments that to do so adversely affects the ride, although probably not to a huge degree.  Still, that doesn't stop me looking!

In the meantime, I will repaint the originals and focus on other, non-cosmetic, jobs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Kevin, those Ls400 wheels look to be probably original ......  and the ride in my car has always been just superb .............  never thought to change the original wheels BUT they do certainly need refurbishing ........  now, where's the cheque book !😲

Malc

Yep, get your cheque book out Malc. Ex Bankers are very slow at spending money...!

Cheers Kevin

2 hours ago, Howplum said:

I'm very much in two minds about changing the wheels for bigger ones because I have seen plenty of comments that to do so adversely affects the ride, although probably not to a huge degree.  Still, that doesn't stop me looking!

In the meantime, I will repaint the originals and focus on other, non-cosmetic, jobs. 

A question Howard... Have you been in an LS400 that has non standard wheels fitted...? As Malc has said, the ride in his car has always been superb...! You might have to learn, like I did, if you change your wheels... I wished I hadn't changed mine 20 years ago... Roads might be better now, because I haven't been involved with the Black Stuff for 20 years...!

• Like 1

"Have you been in an LS400 that has non standard wheels fitted"

No, I must admit I haven't, and it's probably a very good idea to "try before you buy".

• Like 1

That's interesting Keiran, because I understood coilovers were generally intended to give a "sportier" ride.

Which one do you have and what settings do you use? 

My only comments would be, that i only drove the 35 miles home on the standard suspension, then the car went up on a lift to be inspected and then had essentials replaced, so I have spent more time on the coilovers and I am used to the ride of my GSF, so maybe in comparison I still feel like im floating around. Maybe to those who've spent more time on standard springs would feel a larger difference?

I use HSD's purchased from Driftworks (cracking deal last black Friday) on their standard spring rate, 12kg and 8kg come to mind but I would have to look it up to be certain. The car has been lowered around 15-20mm. I don't drive the LS hard in anyway, I've got the GS for that, so I just waft around locally.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

Hello Howard, I thought I would mention that when I had my 1999 LS400, twenty years ago. It was a great car, especially for it’s very comfortable ride… I bought it from Lexus Plymouth, as well as an SC430, and was friendly with the Sales Manager. I was talked into changing the wheels on my LS400 to the better looking, Lexus Option wheels, for the LS400…

With the Lexus Option wheels fitted, the ride changed, and when I was on the concrete, I knew it…! The ride was actually terrible…! I shouldn’t have been talked into changing the wheels to the Lexus Option wheels…!

400 Rear 2.JPG

LS 400.jpeg

The first photo shows the DHP (dynamic handling pack) wheels. One inch bigger than the standard, it was only an option on the Mk4 (I thought)?

The other photos are a Mk3 with standard wheels, I think. (But a different car? Can't be a 1999 model.) Nicer looking wheels, IMHO.

On 3/20/2021 at 8:59 PM, Howplum said:

Having said that, I also like the early "pie dish" SC430 wheels, although apparently the offset is different.

image.png.92a5f907edb6db31f02641ff68865732.png

I think the main problem with aftermarket wheels for the LS400 is that it looks like the owner is "trying too hard". The rest of the car's design is so understated that look-at-me-wheels always seem a bit ... vulgar! 🙂

YMMV, of course!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smallredball said:

The first photo shows the DHP (dynamic handling pack) wheels. One inch bigger than the standard, it was only an option on the Mk4 (I thought)?

The other photos are a Mk3 with standard wheels, I think. (But a different car? Can't be a 1999 model.) Nicer looking wheels, IMHO.

Don't know...! I will leave it to the LS400 experts...! I did have two LS400's, both in the same colour... The photos might show both of the cars... I think the photo showing my KSW1 plate was my 2nd... I regularly drove from Cornwall up country to view and buy quarrying gear... The 1st LS 400 was sold with 110k on the clock... The 2nd was bought from a used car dealer in Bristol... I remember it had a GOLD something...?

When I sold my quarries in 2002... I kept the 2nd LS400, and I stupidly went to the local BMW dealer, and traded it in for a 750i... more money than sense...!

I don't know why I waited nearly 20 years to have another Lexus... My two LS 400's were great cars...! Whatever year they were, and whatever Mk they were...!  

Aha. If you bought the DHP wheels as part of a new Mk4 LS400 purchase, then I suppose you also got the DHP suspension. That has a harder suspension, in addition to the extra inch of wheel size.

I've had one of each: 2000 Mk4 with DHP and a 1997 Mk4 with standard. The former was definitely firmer, although it still rode a lot more better than any other car that I've had.

1 hour ago, smallredball said:

Aha. If you bought the DHP wheels as part of a new Mk4 LS400 purchase, then I suppose you also got the DHP suspension. That has a harder suspension, in addition to the extra inch of wheel size.

I've had one of each: 2000 Mk4 with DHP and a 1997 Mk4 with standard. The former was definitely firmer, although it still rode a lot more better than any other car that I've had.

I think the Lexus Option wheels were fitted by Lexus Plymouth to my 2nd LS 400... Both my LS 400's were great cars... My LC 500 is also a great car... On Saturday I get my Convertible... and Savagegeese says the ride is even better...! But I don't have haemorrhoids...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfAW6NqASY&t=16s 

KSW_3.jpg

KSW1_6.jpg

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links