Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Two Very Interesting Questions

Have 2 questions

I have a standard IS200 sport, no mods

1) Do all Is200 whine during low revs? Mine does.

It’s easily heard. I bet others think I got a supercharger.

2) Would continues use of Shell Optimax do any harm to the engine?

Has anyone timed the 0-60 figures, any quicker than 9.5 sec?

in answer to 2, No, its actually better to continue using Optimax IMHO.

I'm still not sure if Optimax really makes much difference in terms of performance. Maybe the Altezza would benefit from it (AFAIK Japanese "standard" unleaded has a higher octane) but the IS200 is designed to run on 95RON.

Optimax is probably "cleaner" than some of the rubbish that's out there though!

Ive read a few posts that most Optimax users found an inprovement in performance at lower revs.

Which is good enough. Like to try this out

As from the first question

Any chance of describing how your IS200 sounds at low revs?

Cheers for all your answers :)

in answer to 2, No, its actually better to continue using Optimax IMHO.

I'm still not sure if Optimax really makes much difference in terms of performance. Maybe the Altezza would benefit from it (AFAIK Japanese "standard" unleaded has a higher octane) but the IS200 is designed to run on 95RON.

Optimax is probably "cleaner" than some of the rubbish that's out there though!

I did an experiment last year on fuels.. read about it here...

Do you need to change anything if running shell optimax ?

Yes reset the ECU before you fill up, and make sure the tank is as empty as you can get it. look in the knowledge base on how to do it.

Yes reset the ECU before you fill up, and make sure the tank is as empty as you can get it. look in the knowledge base on how to do it.

No you dont, you can just fill up, though without resetting the ECU it may take a tank or two before the ECU adjusts.

:lol::lol::lol:

Send a wav file Raz

maybe Auto are quieter

I was gonna do that, i used to be drum n bass/jungle producer sample bloody anything :lol: but i aint got my MD recorder no more :angry:

anyways the lex is too quiet to pick anything up. would have put the mic in engine bay and then record.

I've heard autos get noisier as they get more miles :(

No you dont, you can just fill up, though without resetting the ECU it may take a tank or two before the ECU adjusts.

:lol: spending 45-90quid for sake of 1minutes work.

one thing i forgot to explain

about the whine noise, if I put press the clutch peddle leave my foot there and rev the engine at low revs, the whine is gone, but when clutch is released and rev the engine at low revs again, whine noise is heard.

Is this whine noise down to a noisey gearbox, this whine noise is starting to remind me of my old Austin Metro :sad:

Yes it is quite a high pitched kind of wirrrr or whine noise, if it is the belt, does this mean if I press the clutch the the belt stops moving.

Thanx for your reply

does this mean if I press the clutch the the belt stops moving

Wouldn't of thought so, but its always worth a try, if you open your bonnet your see the belt and bolt sticking out on a arm (the nut is pointing away from you) Check to see if the sound is from here, if it is just move then bolt along the arm a bit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links