Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi All,

I have a Windsor blue 2007 SE-L, bought it 2 weeks ago, love it! serious upgrade from the 2011 Avensis i had previously.

I have a few issues however and one is that the driver side wing mirror doesn't fold in, i suspect it has been knocked severely and its broken the motor.

So the question is it possible to buy one in the wrong colour and fit the motor or mechanism required to make it work to the existing one if you have limited but capable mechanical/electrical experience as i do, anyone have experience of that and if so was it a nightmare? or the more expensive and time consuming route of waiting for one in the right colour and fitting it whole?

Thanks 

James

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I actually have whole spare innards (passenger side sadly, but motors may be the same?), for free if you want.

Sir if you don't mind I would really appreciate it. Could be an interesting challenge to try and fit them. Let me know what you need details wise. 

1 hour ago, Jamescokell said:

Thank you Sir, very much appreciated. 

or http://www.dewsburyautosalvage.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?model_ddl=106&q=lexus&x=4&y=13

http://www.dewsburyautosalvage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/150x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/0/30951966_04x_1_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi James. Yes it should be possible to buy a different coloured mirror and use its internals. Funnily enough I've just bought both left and right hand mirrors of eBay. My driver ones never worked but it does fold in on the button and the left one barely dips when reverse is selected. Best of luck in replacing the inerds (is that spelt right?). Good onya Lynas on your good gesture 👍

• Thanks 1

Hi James. What's the latest with your mirror? Do the other functions work with the mirrors like going up down left and right?

On 2/28/2021 at 5:24 PM, Beamish said:

The easiest solution would be to fit the painted cover from your existing mirror to your new used unit. Job done.

Not really, because you have to disassemble entire door to unbolt 3 bolts holding the mirror in place. That is what I planned to do when I ordered the mirror to replace broken mirror cover and glass. Ended-up just replacing covers and glass from replacement part, because it was too much work to disassemble the door. Although in my case all the inner piece was good anyway. 

That is what I call "disassemble the door". Obviously, definitions of what is "dead simple" differs from person to person, but the part I hate about taking door card off are million clips which are expensive, have to be ordered individually and and least few of them going to definitely brake... and if you don't replace them then your door card will flop around and make annoying noises.

For there reason I would rather do everything possible to avoid taking it off and only take it off if there is no other way.

Although removing mirror glass is sticky business as well (literally), not only mirror clips into the enclosure, but it is as well glued to it with large sticky pad which in theory you need to replace every time you remove glass. In my case I was replacing the mirror so I was not worried about braking it, used hair dryer on the replacement one at home and didn't brake either. 

Then the access to innards of the mirror are easily accessible by undoing ~3 screws and it all disassembles easily. The only part I don't like is that Lexus used cheap plastic screws, instead of using machinery screens and having metal inserts. Meaning that it is easy to overdo them and strip threads.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links