Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Tactics Now!

Stompe

I find it hard to imagine where there would be any kind of market for old used catalytic convertors, unless of course they have some decent scrap metal value. After all said and done it's not a big repair issue item, is it ?

1 hour ago, Poundy said:

I find it hard to imagine where there would be any kind of market for old used catalytic convertors, unless of course they have some decent scrap metal value. After all said and done it's not a big repair issue item, is it ?

A couple of hundred quid minimum for each one is a decent incentive if you happen to be of a criminal persuasion.

They contain Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium, current spot prices of which are £654, £1,727, and £10,406 per ounce respectively.

Ironically, it's the motor manufacturing industry in India, China and such places, and the environmental polices that their governments are initiating (like requiring vehicles to have catalytic converters), that are amongst the major forces driving up the prices of these metals.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

A couple of hundred quid minimum for each one is a decent incentive if you happen to be of a criminal persuasion.

They contain Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium, current spot prices of which are £654, £1,727, and £10,406 per ounce respectively.

Ironically, it's the motor manufacturing industry in India, China and such places, and the environmental polices that their governments are initiating (like requiring vehicles to have catalytic converters), that are amongst the major forces driving up the prices of these metals.

It seems that Hybrid models are the firm favourite because the operating system means the CC tends to be much cleaner than conventional cars. Putting our cars at the top of the pecking order

While I think we would agree that if they want it, it will be gone. Does  the Lexus catlock  offer any real deterrent in stopping the theft, i.e. delay the theft process long enough to make the investment worthwhile?

Why didn't they just stick to mugging us oldies at the cash Machine, I blame the cashless society we are leaning towards 😉

40 minutes ago, Poundy said:

Does  the Lexus catlock  offer any real deterrent in stopping the theft, i.e. delay the theft process long enough to make the investment worthwhile?

Why didn't they just stick to mugging us oldies at the cash Machine, I blame the cashless society we are leaning towards 😉

That does not help - if they can't get catalyst converter , they will simply smash your windows from frustration. 

I tend to put blame elsewhere - as a society we have accepted Police inactivity, and likewise Police have pretty much decriminalised any car related crimes. They won't even come to inspect the scene and won't start investigation. Nowadays they simply say - "if there were no injuries - claim insurance". So in such situation criminals are taking advantage - they know nobody will be coming after them, so they becoming especially blatant nowadays e.g. doing it in broad daylight and we paying ever increasing insurance costs:

• Sad 1

Fair comment Linas,

But I think I would prefer dealing with damage that didn't offer the scumbags a profit than letting them make money from me, by stealing something of value.

I spoke to Lexus Birmingham today they reckon it was 3 or 4 in for cat theft last month, one was a 68 plate they had only sold very recently. I was told that the

higher ground clearance vehicles like the RX450h are more favoured because they can be cut without the need for jacking up.

Not too concerned about ours but decided it's a bit like car insurance if you have it you probably never make a claim but if it expires smash bang 😔

They reckon the Lexus Catlock could extend the process of removal by up to 30mins even if the right tools were at hand. As such our Ct200h is booked in for Friday to have one fitted @ £275 inc vat and a car clean, it's only money that cannot be spent in lockdown 😄

41 minutes ago, Poundy said:

But I think I would prefer dealing with damage that didn't offer the scumbags a profit than letting them make money from me, by stealing something of value.

Yes - I appreciate your point of view and that is good approach. Just pointed out that trying to protect your car may actually cause higher monetary damage in the ends - at least I guess one could feel better that scumbags got nothing out of it. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links