Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What did you do to your Lexus today.

I’m not at all surprised dealers are being asked to help finding older Ls’s’ 

your previous owner had a brilliant time driving all those amazing miles I’m sure. Very little maintenance needed beyond normal servicing and preventative maintenance and wow, wot value for money over his lifetime with your car …… now …… you’re going to get another lifetime from her too 

Those handbrake pads/ shoes stuff …… it’s probably the first time they’ve been changed too 

I know mine haven’t been on 250k miles ! 

We’re very fortunate and some might say wise to be having the Ls for our main cars …… to drive in utmost comfort and reliability with immense power and acceleration at our whim …… 

In my 26 years driving an Ls400 ……. wow is it that long …… and I know they’ve taken me personally at least 250,000 incredible miles across the UK and much of Europe on holidays 

I KNOW I wouldn’t hesitate jumping in either of mine right now …… just checking the levels and tyre pressures …… to do a simple, almost any terrain,  5,000 mile holiday wherever 

The older Ls is really that great a car …… 

on E5 tho’ of course 😂

Malc 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malc1 said:

I’m not at all surprised dealers are being asked to help finding older Ls’s’ 

your previous owner had a brilliant time driving all those amazing miles I’m sure. Very little maintenance needed beyond normal servicing and preventative maintenance and wow, wot value for money over his lifetime with your car …… now …… you’re going to get another lifetime from her too 

Those handbrake pads/ shoes stuff …… it’s probably the first time they’ve been changed too 

I know mine haven’t been on 250k miles ! 

We’re very fortunate and some might say wise to be having the Ls for our main cars …… to drive in utmost comfort and reliability with immense power and acceleration at our whim …… 

In my 26 years driving an Ls400 ……. wow is it that long …… and I know they’ve taken me personally at least 250,000 incredible miles across the UK and much of Europe on holidays 

I KNOW I wouldn’t hesitate jumping in either of mine right now …… just checking the levels and tyre pressures …… to do a simple, almost any terrain,  5,000 mile holiday wherever 

The older Ls is really that great a car …… 

on E5 tho’ of course 😂

Malc 

Fully agree with everything Malc says above. I had my parking brake done a year or so ago - yes expensive - but in 9 years, that is the only "repair" I have had to contend with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Fully agree with everything Malc says above. I had my parking brake done a year or so ago - yes expensive - but in 9 years, that is the only "repair" I have had to contend with.

Expensive as in £1000 ? 
Malc 

10 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Not that bad. With a full service the bill came to around £750 IIRC.

Lucky it’s only money eh 👍🤣

Malc 

• Like 2

Left my LS430 in to get the driver side rear air suspension height sensor replaced tonight.  I got quite a fright when my car started violently bouncing me in the car as the air suspension filled up to the max once the warning light came on.  Thankfully the actual struts are absolutely fine and the height sensor, which cost over £600 is being covered by the 6 month RAC Platinum warranty I got with the car!  The warranty has also agree to cover the air conditioning compressor that has failed; they have just asked my mechanic to strip it down and send photos as evidence (the actual part is obsolete buy my mechanic was able to source one for me).  Really pleasantly surprised with the quality of the warranty cover.  They offered me a further gold policy for 12 months for £450 which I've accepted.

• Like 1

This RAC warranty sounds amazing …… can you explain a little more on its availability etc whatever ….. sounds brilliant and exceptional 

Thanks 

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

This RAC warranty sounds amazing …… can you explain a little more on its availability etc whatever ….. sounds brilliant and exceptional 

Thanks 

Malc 

Sure.  The first 6 months were offered by the car garage I purchased the LS from in November.  I understand this cost the dealer around £650.  My understanding is that they use the RAC warranty for all their customers as apposed to offering one themselves.  The cover I was given was their Platinum cover and this is the policy I've had the height sensor and aircon compressor accepted on.  A few weeks before my policy was due to expire, I received and email from RAC Warranty offering me to continue my cover, this time at Gold level, for 12 months for £450.  From what I can ascertain, the only difference between gold and platinum is a max spend of £1000 vs £2000 per repair respectively.  It does seem though, that the only way to have this cover for older cars is through a used purchase from a car dealer.  I say that, as I just went to the RAC Warranty website and it's saying the cover offered there is only for cars up to 10 years old.   Sorry for any elevated hopes; I didn't realise it's exclusivity! 

Thank you. Seems a worthwhile warranty for sure and stood you in good stead  👍

” lucky “  I guess these issues with your car arose so soon after purchase and the warranty could be used 

Well done 

Malc 

Just had both rear exhaust silencers replaced by Pipecraft in Basildon. On the OE ones the internals were no longer attached to the casing.
He kept the factory (stainless) pipework (resonators to silencers) and welded in 2 new silencers and refitted the factory chrome tips. £450.
Looks great and sounds quiet again. Still has a slight "tin can" rattle when going over bumps though, so I suspect I have a loose heat shield somewhere.
You can only hear it with window open. Will need to get the car in the air and take a look when I can be bothered.

EVs today …….BREAKING NEWS ….. . just heard from a buddy that Toyota have decided to no longer provide EV cars development whatever 

They don’t perhaps see a sensible future until  a new generation of lightweight batteries manifests 

NO DOUBT A GURU HERE WILL CHECK THIS ALL OUT 🤔

Malc 

I have not read that ,but it would not surprise me were it true. The issues surrounding EV and batteries have become more and more manifest over time. Clearly, there are yet further technological hurdles that need to be jumped to make this more than a '8 track' route to obsolescence.

52 minutes ago, Boomer54 said:

I have not read that ,but it would not surprise me were it true. The issues surrounding EV and batteries have become more and more manifest over time. Clearly, there are yet further technological hurdles that need to be jumped to make this more than a '8 track' route to obsolescence.

The sales are not matching the Government and EU production level requirements so grants/subsidies are lost. It’s not worth manufacturers’ time.

Roll out synthetic fuel. It exists.

And we simply KNOW well used and appropriate ICE diesel and petrol vehicles have a whole fresh extended life exported to Africa wherever ……..where EVs would be laughed out of existence ……. say crossing the Sahara …… or the Gobi whatever 

Malc 

Mods I think these latter posts need transferring to some other Section maybe ? 

Apologies for starting something irreverent here 😇

22 hours ago, heartburnron said:

Left my LS430 in to get the driver side rear air suspension height sensor replaced tonight.  I got quite a fright when my car started violently bouncing me in the car as the air suspension filled up to the max once the warning light came on.  Thankfully the actual struts are absolutely fine and the height sensor, which cost over £600 is being covered by the 6 month RAC Platinum warranty I got with the car!  The warranty has also agree to cover the air conditioning compressor that has failed; they have just asked my mechanic to strip it down and send photos as evidence (the actual part is obsolete buy my mechanic was able to source one for me).  Really pleasantly surprised with the quality of the warranty cover.  They offered me a further gold policy for 12 months for £450 which I've accepted.

Picked the car up today, air suspension back to normal, air conditioning blasting icy cold air and the mini fridge has been re-stocked with cans!  Now the scary part - so the claim was accepted subject to photos of the sensor (only learned that part tonight) and air compressor being provided - if they deem there is no evidence of impact damage then all good, otherwise, I'll be looking at a bill of close to grand!  I expect to get confirmation tomorrow but the parts that came off the car looked fine to me so fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

Protected my Lexus today by buying a second car!  The Mrs is getting a puppy next week and I was freaking out at the idea of a dog being in my beloved Lexus - hence I was inspired to purchase a cheap 'dog car'.  The new car allegedly gets 60 MPG too so hopefully that will incentivise me to drive the LS less as I've done over 7000 mile since I got it in November and that's with no daily commute to work;  I just love driving it!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heartburnron said:

hence I was inspired to purchase a cheap 'dog car'.

Was it an old Rover?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

Was it an old Rover?

Lol.  See what you did there!  I almost bought a Volvo V40 or a Saab 95, but given my daughter is turning 17 later this year, I thought I'd buy something I can hand over to her and that she'd have a chance of being able to insure.  Ended up with a Chevrolet Aveo - never heard of one before but it ticked all the boxes...

Isla Chevy.PNG

• Like 2

You can get a lot of Daewoooooo Chevy Aveo for your bucks …… you’re right……. I’m thinking no one here’s ever heard of it 😂

Chevvy conjures up all sorts of “ romantic “ connotations ……. zipping down the freeway ……. your daughter will love it  😄

Malc 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2024 at 7:57 PM, heartburnron said:

Picked the car up today, air suspension back to normal, air conditioning blasting icy cold air and the mini fridge has been re-stocked with cans!  Now the scary part - so the claim was accepted subject to photos of the sensor (only learned that part tonight) and air compressor being provided - if they deem there is no evidence of impact damage then all good, otherwise, I'll be looking at a bill of close to grand!  I expect to get confirmation tomorrow but the parts that came off the car looked fine to me so fingers crossed. 

The garage only got in touch today to confirm the warranty claim was fully accepted for the air conditioning compressor and suspension height sensor.  I did still have to pay £250 for the initial diagnostic and the work then did to temporarily fix the suspension pending the new part being fixed.  Can't really complain to have all that done for £250 though can I?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, heartburnron said:

The garage only got in touch today to confirm the warranty claim was fully accepted for the air conditioning compressor and suspension height sensor.  I did still have to pay £250 for the initial diagnostic and the work then did to temporarily fix the suspension pending the new part being fixed.  Can't really complain to have all that done for £250 though can I?

Nope…that’s a low rate for the work and it should last for a very long time.👍

• Like 2

Having bought my Leather Prep/degreaser today i made a start using it. The pics below show before and afetr the Prep cut away the prior finsih which I imagine to be something silicone based which left a very undesireable high gloss sheen. As we know the SC 430 leather from the factory is a very nice subtle matt finish. That is what I am going to try and get back to.

So, these are the headrest before and after treatment. The high gloss finish had not been applied to the back seats nor to the back of the front seats. You can see  where the finish had been left partially done to the rear of the headrests. At least I hope it is going to be clear from the pics.

Before and after. If you click on the pics and expand them the difference is clearer to see.

Before Heads.jpg

After heads.jpg

• Like 1

Indeed ,the stark difference in finish from factory leather to the current gloss is best seen by looking at the rear of the front seat and the to central armrest/store box.

Difference.jpg

• Like 1

Nest step for me will be to try and steam out as many wrinkles and signs of compression as I can achieve. Never done this before so not really sure what to expect. The passenger seat is not too bad as is ,but the drivers seat as you can imagine is a lot worse for wear. I will post some pics after the stage and before I do the finishing stage on colouring the leather together with some crack repairs.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links