Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Connecting Two Pc's

jac114

i am using windows ME I have got an ethernet connection in both pc's and the oversized telephone cable type lead (rj45 or rj11) whatever you call it.. i have linked both pc's with cable and run windows home networking wizard set up my pc as the main one linked to isp and then the other as sharing with other pc.. i have called mine pc craigs and my boys pc carls.. i have got the microsoft internet connection sharing icon running in the task bar but it only states 1 computer using the internet .. and when i go into networking places and clicked on entire network then searched for computers using either computer and looking for carls or craigs neither work.. so whats going wrong

or is it just me..

Craig

I guess you've installed direct cable connection under both windows systems?

I'd reccomend buying a hub, they're cheap enough, and its a better solution.

Alternativley, if your planning on Broadband, i can reccomend a great DSL 4-port router/firewall

cheers guys.. this is really just pc to pc transfer of files and such without having to copy them and maybe a bit of internet sharing.. looks like i will get a crossover cable.. is there any special name for it???

thanks for your help guys

craig

if you have routed the cable all nice and neat you can get a converter that plugs onto one end of the cable and that makes a straight cable into a crossover, but they can cost more than the cable. I think my adapter cost me about £2.50

cheers guys.. this is really just pc to pc transfer of files and such without having to copy them and maybe a bit of internet sharing.. looks like i will get a crossover cable.. is there any special name for it???

thanks for your help guys

craig

Got a couple in the garage you can have if you get stuck

thanks for all you help guys i went to a guy who i am friendly with at a local small pc shop and he sorted me out with a 10m crossover cable for a £5 and have now got it up and running including internet sharing .. (it helps if you use thre right cable..lol)

cheers

craig

Glad you got it sorted Craig.

I had a nightmare day with my home PC, after 5 years, and a heck of a lot of moving, it finally gave up the ghost.

Pretty much figured out it was the motherboard, so went to the local puter shop (rather than Dixons/PC world).

Of course, they dont make Slot A mainboards anymore..

So decided on an Athlon XP processor (cheapest one they had), went for the matching mainboard, and of course, needed a 350W power supply, oh and some DDR RAM (since my SDRAM wouldnt fit :crybaby: ).

Took the machine to bits (ripped my hand open on the old PSU), fitted the new mainboard and PSU, went to install the CPU... oh look, they've sold me a P4 motherboard (i did buy them together!), so remove the mainboard, back to the shop to swap it for a AMD one..

Urgh!, but got it up and running, and all is well now (touch wood).. and my, it doesnt half shift now!

Yeah, i got the Athlon XP 2000 (1.67Ghz), does the job nicely.. and a bit of an upgrade over my old 600Mhz...

The mainboards okay, has onboard sound (so the SB live stays in its box), thankfully no onboad Graphics (so the GE force gets used), but best of all, has onboard Network, so the old Netgear A311 can go back in the box :)

I got a syntax m/b with onboard sound 6 usb ports 2 comms ports 1 printer 1 ethernet and the usual others and i have got a 64mb ati grapgics card 256 ddr ram.. tv card fire wire card for my digi camcorder and lots of other cables for other bits a pieces..lol

Glad you got it sorted Craig.

I had a nightmare day with my home PC, after 5 years, and a heck of a lot of moving, it finally gave up the ghost.

Pretty much figured out it was the motherboard, so went to the local puter shop (rather than Dixons/PC world).

Of course, they dont make Slot A mainboards anymore..

So decided on an Athlon XP processor (cheapest one they had), went for the matching mainboard, and of course, needed a 350W power supply, oh and some DDR RAM (since my SDRAM wouldnt fit :crybaby: ).

Took the machine to bits (ripped my hand open on the old PSU), fitted the new mainboard and PSU, went to install the CPU... oh look, they've sold me a P4 motherboard (i did buy them together!), so remove the mainboard, back to the shop to swap it for a AMD one..

Urgh!, but got it up and running, and all is well now (touch wood).. and my, it doesnt half shift now!

i have a spare MB and OC 800mhz sitting here - thinking about putting it in the bin

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links