Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

After agooo few years away I have finally come to a point in my life where I need another Lex, my daily commute is 120 miles round trip which has admirably been knocked out by my vectra, now just hitting 218k miles, it's been a trusty car, spent nothing on it in 5 years bar tyres, brakes and a set of swirl flaps! And to be honest it's very rarely let me down, mostly user error, running out of fuel etc.

So anyway I'm going to check out a 56 Is250 SEL tommorow it'd got 80k on it and is up for £5995, I've had a look on autotrader and it looks kind of top whack price wise, it looks in good condition anyway my question really is this reasonable, I've not looked at a Lexus in so long I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm not doing the commute in the New car will keep the vectra until hopefully in the next few months I change jobs and will go to work on the train instead.

I've read the what to look for guide,some great advice there, I can't wait to fond my a new one, I miss my trusty 200 even now!

Nick 

Welcome back to the fold,

Good choice with the IS250, needs to be top drawer as you say at that price, have you done an MOT history check to check for pending problems from any advisories and to confirm mileage?

If you can post a link up to the car we can take a look and it may be known by another member, I promise I won't step in and buy it.

I think there may be a buying guide somewhere on the forums too.

Good luck with your search to find the one for you.

It needs to be in top whack condition for that price - I would not worry about the miles. Make sure it has ML sound system and Nav. If you are keeping it for a while then its of no consequence but if you plan on changing it in the future, consider as its on a top whack price, then it will probably drop by around 1.5k (ish) as a trade in value.

Also - make sure it is an SE L model and not an SE I

Have a read of this splendid piece of work.

Does seem a bit high on price. 

If it has Nav check that screen is fully functional. Early ones had some breakdown issues. If it's SEL check the rear sun blind a few times to see operation is good.

It's an SEL with Ml, to be honest all the SEL models seem to command a pretty high price, it a trade sale with 6month warranty for what it's worth and years as cover, I was surprised by the prices actually generally all seem higher than expected, it's 1 owners full S/H too.

Top choice in opting for a lexus is250 👍trust me you won't be disappointed.  I've only had mine a few weeks and I'm loving it. Mines not the SEL model but my previous lexus was and I can assure you it's extremely comfortable and luxurious to drive. Far better than my previous bmw and mercedes.  If you love your music like I do the mark levinson is absolutely superb. 

The cars a dream to drive with that silky smooth auto gearbox and lovely sounding V6 note .

By far the best car ive ever owned. It's a keeper.

• Like 1

Well erm errrrrrr I bought it, I couldn't resist it, it's a really, really good one, perfect interior, perfect exterior, all the door hinges are greased, 4 matching almost brand new sportmaxxrt2's tool kit, full service history....it's one of those cars you can just tell has been looked after and one owner as well!

I test drove and it certainly feels different to the old is200, much smoother changes in the gears, it felt slower than the old one but we were in London traffic, it's Cadoxton grey with cream coloured interior, will pick it up next Saturday, I checked everything off the list from the sticky, the guy just looked at me like WTF I couldn't find a single issue just some bubbling on one wheel but it's a to be expected, having had 4 different Toyota, Lexus you kind of expect it, and thanks for the tip on finding the model in the door jamb made that easy as pie.

Nick 

Nwc100 you say it feels slower than your is200.  There is a button below the steering wheel towards the left called ect power. Switch this on and give it a good kickdown then let us know if it feels slower. Don't take any notice of the claimed 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds. It's a good second quicker.

Be sure to post some pics of your new lexus when you collect it for us all to see.

That's certainly true peachy the ect power button certainly livens up the 250 but the op did not state if the vehicle was a manual transmission or auto. As it's an early model it could well be a manual which would mean there is no ect power button. 

1 hour ago, nwc100 said:

Well erm errrrrrr I bought it, I couldn't resist it, it's a really, really good one, perfect interior, perfect exterior, all the door hinges are greased, 4 matching almost brand new sportmaxxrt2's tool kit, full service history....it's one of those cars you can just tell has been looked after and one owner as well!

I test drove and it certainly feels different to the old is200, much smoother changes in the gears, it felt slower than the old one but we were in London traffic, it's Cadoxton grey with cream coloured interior, will pick it up next Saturday, I checked everything off the list from the sticky, the guy just looked at me like WTF I couldn't find a single issue just some bubbling on one wheel but it's a to be expected, having had 4 different Toyota, Lexus you kind of expect it, and thanks for the tip on finding the model in the door jamb made that easy as pie.

Nick 

While its under warranty and do it ASAP to avoid any dealer hassle on wear and tear excuses, get the exhaust fully checked out for wear/rust/holes etc..- it may be worth getting it MOT'd again at a garage you trust, not one that's associated to the seller. Not saying it will be dodgy but I have had a bad experience with this on a previous car...., mot'd by the sellers garage and soon after there were wear and tear issues that should have been picked up at the mot.

The only reason I am specifically stating check the exhaust out is due to the age of the car and the cost or replacement at almost £2.5k for a replacement OEM exhaust from Lexus as they are not available from the likes of ATS etc as Lexus have not issued the pattern part to manufacturers. You can obviously buy a stainless but that's your decision...

2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

As it's an early model it could well be a manual which would mean there is no ect power button. 

That's a very good point.  Don't think the OP has stated whether it's Auto or Manual.

3 hours ago, juicestop said:

Congrats on your purchase. Mine is also Cadoxton Slate with beige interior. Another check - make sure it comes with two key fobs and that BOTH work.

Agree with this, i only had one key when I bought the car, cost me £330 from main dealer for an additional key

4 hours ago, juicestop said:

Congrats on your purchase. Mine is also Cadoxton Slate with beige interior. Another check - make sure it comes with two key fobs and that BOTH work.

Very good point....kind of thing that's all too easily missed

• Like 1

So I finally managed to go pick her up tonight, she's an absolute beauty in showroom condition inside, not a single mark on it all.

I did 60 miles on the way home and averaged 37.6msg admittedly in the snow so never went above 65, it drives so nicely I almost can't believe it's 10 years old. The ML audio when fed with a dvd is amazing as well, all in I'm made up about it.

Two questions, it has HIDS with afs and on the left hand side of the road as you drive along there is a very noticeable line of light pointing diagonally across to the edge of the road not into the other lane, the afs works OK as it does its up down side side when you start up, is that line normal or more likely needing new bulbs, they didn't seem massively amazing as I was expecting, I'm guessing it needs new bulbs, I've read you can check the condition of them by looking at them and seeing what the glass looks like?

At slow speeds on full lock it has a knock from the front wheel, I read this is normal and most Lexus dealers seem to say "it's normal sir" 

Even the baby seemed to enjoy the ride as he was pretty quiet when we went out for a family test run.

I feel a little bad for my old vectra, going to get all the hard work of my daily 110 mile m25 grind to work, she still has two months of mot left!

Ohhhh and those scuff plates!

Nick 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links