Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is220d worst car I've ever owned

Well ive owned my lexus is220d a year now and can honestly say it's the worst car I've ever owned.

The gearing is dreadful especially 1st into 2nd. Very often jumps out of gear in 2nd and 3rd. ratios are very strange

Mpg is terrible . 25-27 around town and even on motorway in cruise at 65mph in lucky to see 35mpg.

Wheels are rubbish, all the paints flaking off.

Head gasket went after 3 months. cost a fortune to replace.

Rear brake calipers seized up. Had to replace both sides along with new housing. again it hit me hard in the pocket.

Travelling to work each day as the engine warms up the exhaust pumps out plumes of smoke which is really embarrassing . 

175bhp on this car. feels

more like 125 bhp. massive turbo lag and very under powered.

Strange loud cracks coming from the dashboard not to mention squeaky seats.

Got a rust bubble on the front wing the size of a £2 coin. you don't expect an 08 plate lexus to go rusty.

Now my car had developed a problem with the turbo boost coming in late.

Enoughs enough and I'm trading this nightmare car in this weekend for something new.

You have my sympathies.

That is a horrible year of ownership. Can't say I blame you one little bit.

Interestingly you have pretty much encapsulated all the major issues, that forum members have commented on, of the 220d in that post. 

On a lighter note .... the IS250 Auto Petrol is light years away from the 220d.

55 minutes ago, peachy said:

Well ive owned my lexus is220d a year now and can honestly say it's the worst car I've ever owned.

The gearing is dreadful especially 1st into 2nd. Very often jumps out of gear in 2nd and 3rd. ratios are very strange

Mpg is terrible . 25-27 around town and even on motorway in cruise at 65mph in lucky to see 35mpg.

Wheels are rubbish, all the paints flaking off.

Head gasket went after 3 months. cost a fortune to replace.

Rear brake calipers seized up. Had to replace both sides along with new housing. again it hit me hard in the pocket.

Travelling to work each day as the engine warms up the exhaust pumps out plumes of smoke which is really embarrassing . 

175bhp on this car. feels

more like 125 bhp. massive turbo lag and very under powered.

Strange loud cracks coming from the dashboard not to mention squeaky seats.

Got a rust bubble on the front wing the size of a £2 coin. you don't expect an 08 plate lexus to go rusty.

Now my car had developed a problem with the turbo boost coming in late.

Enoughs enough and I'm trading this nightmare car in this weekend for something new.

Not surprised in the slightest.

Surprised with the rust bubbles though - will be covered under 12 year corrosion warranty of course.

I do feel sorry for u mate 

Had 1 on 2006 dpf blocked, front calipers replaced, new gearbox (under warranty) soon picked car up from Preston used to jump out of gear from 2nd, dmf noisy, wheel did start to flake too. apart from that not bad car to drive, sold on 91k due to doing only local miles got is250, much better car. get rid of it go for is250. 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Not surprised in the slightest.

Surprised with the rust bubbles though - will be covered under 12 year corrosion warranty of course.

Haha, bet that makes him feel better.

You have my sympathies.

The first Lexus I owned was a 2004 IS220D which I bought second hand a number of years ago.  I had issues with black smoke and the engine needed a full decoke at a cost of £4k, which fortunately Lexus fixed for me under warranty.  However, within a few months the black smoke started to appear again, so I traded the car in for a new C class Mercedes 220 diesel.  Lovely car but a bit expensive to run overall.

More recently I moved on to a CT200 which was a lovely car, just not pokey enough or large enough for me.

I now have a new IS300H and can honestly say it is the best car I have ever owned.  It is simply light years ahead of anything else I have owned over the years (including the Mercedes) and I would recommend it to anybody.

Interestingly, Lexus do not do diesel cars any more which says it all.  I believe that they (Toyota) did a deal a number of years ago to have diesel engines supplied to them by BMW in exchange for Toyota providing BMW with hybrid systems.

Believe me, hybrid petrol is the way to go.

Have a look at the IS300H.  You won't be disappointed.

The cars been a ball ache since I bought it but it's not put me off the lexus is. Just the diesel . 

Ive got my eye on a nice 10 plate is250 in white with just 24000 on the clock. If they offer me a good part ex price I'm having it.

18 minutes ago, peachy said:

The cars been a ball ache since I bought it but it's not put me off the lexus is. Just the diesel . 

Ive got my eye on a nice 10 plate is250 in white with just 24000 on the clock. If they offer me a good part ex price I'm having it.

I'm assuming its the Auto?

I pretty much guarantee you'll be smiling having driven 10 metres.

That's a very low mileage. Hammer it down on the price if you can.

4 hours ago, Verbout said:

Haha, bet that makes him feel better.

Haha yeah! But its happened now hasnt it? These IS220d's have well documented problems and its pretty much hit or miss on them. I think the IS200d is much better but there's very few of them about

But yh, the OP will definitely be happy with an Auto IS250 - miles apart, sometimes you think its a completely different car!

The IS220d  issues on here back in the day sent this place into overdrive..there's a reason they dont make them anymore

I had one for a week and the gearing was bloody awful as the OP states so was the MPG.

The wheels and caliper issues are typical Lexus..head gasket and rust are not typical.

8 hours ago, sheri1 said:

The first Lexus I owned was a 2004 IS220D

They started making them for 2006, so the earliest you could have was 55 plate. As well 2IS was actually better build and better base trim than 3IS.

1 hour ago, normski2 said:

Sadly..the head gasket is extremely typical of the 220d.

There must have been hundreds...even thousands.. The problem has been that big.

Well that is just partially true, as head gasket is more like symptom rather than the cause. The engine had a lot of problems overall which (if not sorted on time) resulted in head gasket going.

Anyway... nothing new to say here IS250 all the way, IS220d was the worst car Lexus ever made and they made huge loses with it themselves. Not only they were liability on warranty books, but as well deterred many people from the brand all together.

Wow that's alot of problems I had headgasket and revised head done on warranty and that's it! owns my is220 12 months and its been a dream over 16,000miles not got any of theses problems mine been remapped too so all power and driveability issues have gone

13 hours ago, Yorkie740 said:

Wow that's alot of problems I had headgasket and revised head done on warranty and that's it! owns my is220 12 months and its been a dream over 16,000miles not got any of theses problems mine been remapped too so all power and driveability issues have gone

Maybe you are doing a lot of motorway and very little city miles?

Its a horrific engine, I get my Legacy with its silky smooth boxer 6 washed at a local wash and the lads own a 220d there... I can hear that thing about a mile away and its only ticking over.

For a tractor is probably acceptable, a Lexus? 

Did a 30 mile motorway drive today from cannock to Telford and back. constant plumes of white smoke from exhaust all the way. Never been so embarrassed in all my life. 

Sooner I get rid of this car the better.

Roll on Friday I say when I pick up my lovely lexus is250 se-l in white.

I test drove it today and as mentioned it really is light years ahead of the is220d. It's like a totally different car . 

This baby is a proper lexus. lexus made a major mistake in putting a tractor engine in the is.

Normski2 your absolutely spot on. I've had a constant smile on my face sInce owning my awesome is250. It's a totally different car altogether than the diesel . I'm absolutely delighted . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peachy said:

Normski2 your absolutely spot on. I've had a constant smile on my face sInce owning my awesome is250. It's a totally different car altogether than the diesel . I'm absolutely delighted . 

Congrats on your new vehicle. Shame you had to go through the pain of the 220d.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links