Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Adaptive High beam System

I had the use of a new RX450h Premier again last week, while my own car was in for some warranty work (radio unit being replaced). With the evenings drawing in, I had the opportunity to drive the car at night over 45 miles of B-roads across country.

I was blown away.

I had been impressed previously by the Auto High Beam function available on some Lexus models, which automatically and efficiently manages the switch between low and high beam, but the Adaptive High beam System in the new RX is something else and is just outstanding.

The system does not just automatically switch from low to high and high to low beam, but provides various degrees of lighting in between, varying the intensity and range of each of the 3 pairs of LEDs depending on traffic and road conditions to optimize visibility. As you follow another vehicle on a dark country road, you can see the range of the lighting stretch all the way to the car in front and also expand sideways, without switching to full beam. As you get closer, the beam retracts accordingly. If another car comes towards you, you can see the beam from the right-hand side reshape itself so as to not blind the oncoming driver. And of course, when the car does switch to full beam, the level of brightness is just incredible with a very long reach both in front and sideways. It is just like driving in daylight.

While the system does not provide swivelling headlights as of old, it has small, but very bright LED cornering lights imbedded in the bumper, next to the fog lamps. They are so small, you barely notice them when looking at the car, however whenever you drive around a corner or switch the indicators on, they brightly illuminate the road at a 75 degree angle far better than the old AFS system.

In all, this new system makes driving at night a lot more relaxing and far less tiring.

• Like 4

Yes I agree about the Auto high beam function, it is uncanny how it sees oncoming headlights and dips accordingly. Made a long night drive against oncoming traffic almost a pleasure!. Helped by the power of the dipped beam - new RX 450H with all the bells and whistles. Not mine but Lexus Guildford let me play with one for 24 hours.:yahoo:

• Like 1

I believe those headlamps are only available on the Premier grade. 

The F-Sport and below get auto high beam but they aren't adaptive i.e. dont move around like the lights in the Premier

Yes I think you are right and compared to my old RX 400h Premiere with adaptive beam the lights are so much brighter that I missed the fact that the new F Sport 

dipped lights didn't turn into corners.  I am saving my pennies and going for a 2013 450 Premiere and wait until the 2016 models are lower in price.

:yes:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links