Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

What level of discount on a used GS300h?

Please bear with me as I don't change cars very often and I'm not a confident negotiator!

I've got my eye on a 2 year old GS300h luxury at a Lexus dealer. It's priced up at £20,950.

I'm wanting to trade in my MB E class - selling privately is too much hassle. Various online valuations place it at around £4,500 to £5,000 trade in value.

Now, I know that Lexus dealers appear to have a decent reputation, but when all is said and done we're dealing with second hand cars here!

How would I know when I'm getting  a fair deal and if I have my own independent trade in valuation of the Merc (say, £4,500), what sort of discount could I reasonably expect on the £20,950 they are asking for the GS300h?

I think those sorts of questions are impossible to answer, because you never know the dealer's position and how much money they have in the car. It never ceases to amaze me how different dealers (even in the same network) seem to operate. Some put inflated sticker prices on, refuse a decent offer and let you walk away (only to see the car sat on the forecourt for months afterwards) whilst others price reasonably to start with and are still happy to negotiate a deal. I've given up trying to understand it. 

Forget discounts on the new or the amount for the trade in.   The figure you want is the "cost to change" then negotiate.

I traded my IS300H in for a GS. I knew the book price for both cars.

Once the salesman told me the cost to change I sucked air through my teeth and knocked £1000 off and he scuttled off to see the sales manager who came out of his office & shook my hand.

Deal done and both of us happy.  The first offer was actually bang on book to!! 

And imho refuse Gap insurance & Superguard type paint treatments.

My brother in law once boasted on how much he got for his trade in but he failed to see that his new car was way over book price!!

Good Luck!!   The GS is superb to.

Ed:yes:

I don't know Lexus prices in UK, and how much is depreciation of cars there, but  here in Italy a 2 years old car has a price about 60% of a new one.

And the official price for a new GS 300 h Luxury  is over 70 k€, how much you can have it less depends on many factors, for sure if you trade in your old car the tendence for salesmen is to make the buyer they overestimate the value of traded in car and no discount on new one; the final result of how much you have to pay is the only real point, as capese wrote.

Coming back to GS, being a rather "rare" car to find but also to sell, you can buy it at good price, compared to prices for other used car more "trendy" ; this the situation here in Italy where all people think a luxury car has to be german, may be it's different in UK.

5 hours ago, Zotto said:

this the situation here in Italy where all people think a luxury car has to be german, may be it's different in UK.

It's pretty much the seem here in the UK too! German, and preferably black!

Thanks. Goodness me. WHen I gave my details to the man at the Lexus dealership (he's not yet seen it), he said trade in value was £4 - 5k.

The What Car valuation gives a "Part Exchange" value of £7,246.

So there's just a bit of a bridge to gap!

You have to take count of the difference in less you have when trading in a car, the vendor have to give a guarantee to the future buyer and have to make a complete check , gaining at least 1000-1500 €/£  . 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links