Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Potential RX owner with questions

Hi I am new here, if I should go for an RX then could be here for a while if :-)

A little background currently run a Citroen C5 estate for lugging loads and driving over farm tracks and a Prius for pretty well everything else.

Now the Cit is getting to that phase of life where lot's of little things are giving problems and bigger issues are just over the horizon and frankly I can no longer work up the enthusiasm and at 16 yrs young it's days must be numbered, shame really been a good  car, not so good as the XM before it or the CX before that but a good reliable well made car for all that.

The Prius purchased primarily to reduce the fuel bill to work / shopping etc. mechanically very reliable economy not as good as Toyota would have one to believe. Love the hybrid system suspension not so much.

Now retired I want to rationalise the fleet and get back to one car question is what? The Prius would do pretty well all that I want if : a) it had slightly higher ground clearance and b) slightly more luggage space and c:) more comfortable chairs d:) heated mirrors e:)door checks that worked.

The Lexus is high on my list simply because it answers all the perceived negatives of the Prius and has the advantage of being higher all round, extra urban fuel consumption is a negative as is the VED. However the VED on the Lexus is about the same as the Cit and the urban fuel consumption is likely to be better than the Citroen can achieve.

I have read much of related stuff on this site and very informative and helpful it has been.

However I  have been perturbed to read of a propensity for under body rust, failing tank straps and water ingress seems to be a common problem as well.

Water ingress from sunroofs is not an unknown problem on most cars that have them and that includes the C5 but rust! I hav'nt had to worry about rust for the last 15 years on any of the Citroens I have had so just how much of a problem is this on the Lexus? I notice that on some of the photo's related to cars that have had water ingress rust seems to have got a hold so how much of an issue is this? is the body galvanised prior to painting?.

My RX is 13 years old, and has been in the south west all it's life near the coast. I haven't got any body work issues with rust nor had and drain holes blocked but under body rust is a slight issue. Additionally look for water in the tail lights (a really simple fix but common) - I found out recently the fuel tanks are plastic but haven't checked the original straps yet underneath to see how they are fairing.

If you get a bargain on an RX and can afford to budget / factor in an undersealing refresh then you'll be very pleased with an RX!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt let rust bother you - simply because its very unlikely.

Rust will form on any car, even if galvanised and there's some body damage etc.

However, if you make sure the car is sealed underneath, it should be fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links