Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Returning from a shopping trip in Winchester, my wife noticed that an inconsiderate driver had left a nice long scratch on the passenger side of our RX. Of course no details were left.

I have two questions:

- This happened either in a council-run car park, or in the car park of the local Sainsbury's. Is it worth asking to see / be sent CCTV footage to help identify the culprit? - Do councils and supermarkets do this?

- Looking at the attached pix, do you think the damage could be polished off, and if so what is the best way to go about it? - Professional, or DYI? - The paint layer does not seem to have been broken, but on the other hand, there seems to be a slight dent. (The area has not been cleaned off yet, should we need to show it to a council official or supermarket security staff).

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Attach0.jpg

Attach1.jpg

Attach2.jpg

Modern society where guilt counts for nothing again, I just wouldn't be able to do that to someone elses car and just go.

It may be worth approaching both the council and supermarket but chances are they will hide behind the Data Protection Act or Human Rights Act so as not to disclose but if the incident is reported to the police they may gain access in order to identify the offender but again they may have bigger issues to deal with like speed traps!

Difficult to judge from pictures but most of it may polish out, or consider taking it to a local paint shop and see what they say.

• Like 2

From the pictures it looks like some may be able to polish out so worth trying that just to see how far you get.

The top scratch looks much deeper though so most likely wont be able to be polished out.

AFAIK they SHOULD release the footage as its against the law to have an accident and failt to report or stop no matter how minor it is.

So yes speak to the council and Sainsburys and if they dont agree, go to the police about it.

• Like 1

Exactly what happened to me 2 months ago. Morrisons car park, returned to car and had the same damage as you, but to my rear door. Saw the Manager, he reviewed the CCTV and told me he could see the incident, and, as the car drove from the car park they could capture the reg.No. Supermarkets wont release CCTV footage as it's against the Law (Data Protection) He advised me to report the incident to the Police, they will go to the Supermarket, check the CCTV and decide which way to progress. Waited 2 weeks, phoned police and asked for an update. "These cases can take up to 6 months to resolve, Sir''

Thought I may as well take this one on the chin. Had the repair at Lexus, £1050. Where the marks are on your door there is apparently a strengthening bar which makes the job that much more difficult, obviously.

A week later, a letter arrived from the Police stating that they had reviewed the CCTV and had been in touch with the other driver to remind them of their responsibility to other road users and supplied me with their Name and Insurance details but they will not be taking any further action. Received a phone call from their insurance 'Direct Line' saying they accept full responsibility for their driver. Told them I had had the repair done already, no problem Sir, send us the invoice. A phone call from them 2 days later, shall we make the cheque payable to you or the Repairers. Me, please, cheque arrived 2 days later, case closed.

Go back to Sainsburys, ask them to review the CCTV. If they can see the incident, then report to the Police. Hard to judge from photo but I would think that needs to be done professionally. I see your in Hampshire, if you're not too far from the A3, PM me and I maybe able to help you out. Best of luck, Graham.

• Like 5

Thank you all for your useful feedback and comments.

Sainsbury's has proved a dead end: their cameras do not cover the car park.

Winchester council is proving very helpful and have sent us a form to complete, given us the choice to receive CCTV footage on DVD or CD. However we do not yet know for sure that the incident happened in their car park.

I shall go to my local dealer on Saturday to see what they have to say about the damage... Graham, I may take you up on your offer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links