Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Firstly, I'm definitely not suffering 'buyers regret' before I've even collected it, but I wondered what the general consensus here was on the GS interior. My reaction to viewing several has been 'comfortable, well made, very well appointed, and appears to be pretty robust - shame it is so boring'. 

On the other hand, the first time I drove a Jaguar XF I was really impressed with the interior - it has a real sense of style and theatre and detailing. The air vents park themselves to avoid collecting dust, and then swivel round when the ignition comes on. There is colour selectable mood lighting. Every switch is tactile and handsome. Colour is a plural not singular concept.

I found the GS to be very lacking in this respect - boring / predictable single colour schemes and switches I have seen before in 15 year old Toyotas. Being Toyota items, they would probably still be working after a direct missile strike, but still... not exactly very stylish. Lexus certainly don't seem to skimp on costs (other than the Toyota part bin switches), but they also don't seem to put a massive amount of thought into how the actual design rather than the features could exceed expectations or win fans. 

I suspect anybody who bucks the trend to buy a big Lexus wouldn't be put off by something less conventional inside as well as under the bonnet, but I think Lexus are followers not leaders in this respect, and are missing those little touches...

Am I right or wrong?

If youre referring to the 3GS I agree. It is boring but on the other hand it is also well made.

I think the point you are missing is that the GS 3rd gen debuted in 2006 whereas the XF is a 2007 car. Therefore there is a bit of a time gap between their production and obviously their styling.

The 3GS was also of an era where Lexus used to use Toyota switchgear.

If you switch to a 4GS, you'll find that every aspect is much improved. The quality is even better but it now has some style and the obvious colour schemes are gone i.e. you can get red, sandstone, ivory, tan etc etc but they are two tone.

Lexus does not use Toyota Switchgear any more and you'll find that the 4GS is stunning in terms of attention to detail. I do feel that Jaguar skimp out on areas such as the leather seats which are crap quality and their use of padding material on the armrest etc.

I think its all down to taste and what one looks for in an executive car. for starters the XF Jaguar has a recorded reliability index of 144 when compared to the 3GS of only 41 based on the reliability index website 100 is the average anything higher than 100 is less reliable. I personally prefer the design and interior of the XF Jag its looks simple/neat its designed with more 'classier' side in mind with wood effects and the likes  where as the 3GS more spottier side in mind less wood effects more plastic/buttons.  

not every one prefers wood trims in their cars as it makes it feel like an 'old mans' car but I like it and am mid 30's I recon Lexus should have provided wood effect trims as an option for those who prefer it.

to be honest I think Jaguar has upped their game in recent years and I read an article a while back that they are actually selling more cars than Lexus world wide mainly US. the XE sport looks well built and handsome not very aggressive and sporty looking like the IS but looks like and manly car. same as the RX rivalling F-pace. looks similar to the new Volvo XC90 which is another good looking car but where the Jag wins in my opinion compared to the new RX is its interior same view I hold about the XF and 3GS interior. but for reliability Lexus

2016-Jaguar-F-Pace-interior.jpg

2016-Lexus-RX-350-interior.jpg

jaguar-xf-review-4.jpg

lexus-gs-350-interior-2.jpg

2 hours ago, noby76 said:

:laugh::laugh: thats why I said its all down to taste. Jag might have gone for the bling factor when compared to the RX but it does look futuristic in my eyes.

Im struggling to see where you got that interior picture from? Thats not a production car?!

I disagree with your comments on the F-Pace interior as well. Its in no way better than an RX - thats not even up for debate, it just isnt. The new RX interior quality blows the F-Pace away (too much use of cheap materials in the cabin, same with the XE). Ive personally sat in both and can agree with the following review:

The interior quality is not worthy of a £50k+ vehicle when specified to a level of the RX. Frankly, I think the NX has a better quality interior. Jag have been really skimping on interior quality these days especially the leather and bits where you put your arms/hands such as armrests, cheap buttons on the steering wheels etc. Doesn't even have a leather dash!! Bear in mind the F-pace pictured below even has OPTIONAL ambient lighting and large centre screen shown which cost £1500 in total. The RX is pretty much standard Premier guise. Remove wood steering wheel for Luxury.

2017_jaguar_f-pace_60_2560x1440.jpg

Lexus-RX-350-parchment-leather-interior-

you right Rayaan. i think the f-pace pic I posted might have been concept/non production design. but  I still prefer the interior of the production F-pace in the video you put up. saying that its one thing seeing these interiors in the flesh so the RX might be better looking since you obviously own one. i think Lexus should watch out for Jag as they have released some good looking premium cars lately and they are on the rise in markets like US/China. 

3 hours ago, noby76 said:

you right Rayaan. i think the f-pace pic I posted might have been concept/non production design. but  I still prefer the interior of the production F-pace in the video you put up. saying that its one thing seeing these interiors in the flesh so the RX might be better looking since you obviously own one. i think Lexus should watch out for Jag as they have released some good looking premium cars lately and they are on the rise in markets like US/China. 

I own the previous gen, not the new one, my interior quality is great but its not as good as the new RX is - It does look great when you're in the driver's seat though, the F-pace is somewhat flat, the RX centre console actually comes to the driver at a marginal angle and it all looks very cockpit like.

I also think its a feel thing - some cars have great looking interior but its when you touch the materials that you get disappointed. There's nothing wrong with how the F-pace interior actually looks, its just how it feels. Got to say though, its a very cramped car inside.

I like seeing Jaguar and Lexus do well and build nice cars - both of them are a more interesting proposition that any of the German options.

I admire Lexus for their engineering and build quality, and I admire Jaguar for their blend of style and performance. I do wish the pair of them would make performance versions with 3 pedals though, either of their V8's hooked up to a proper 6 speed manual would be fabulous.

On 2/20/2016 at 8:25 PM, Rob373 said:

I like seeing Jaguar and Lexus do well and build nice cars - both of them are a more interesting proposition that any of the German options.

I admire Lexus for their engineering and build quality, and I admire Jaguar for their blend of style and performance. I do wish the pair of them would make performance versions with 3 pedals though, either of their V8's hooked up to a proper 6 speed manual would be fabulous.

Manuals are in the process of being phased out though. I dont think Ferrari even offers it anymore and BMW are going to remove them from the M lineup.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links