Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Wiper streaks and Application of Rain X - FIXED :D

Just to let you know, sorted out the wierd 3 line streaking of my drivers side wiper which was driving me nuts. This may be useful for somebody.

So, the first step was change the wiper refills - this didnt work, 3 line streak on the drivers side was still there.

Then I got bored and did everthing so it could be one of these factors but obviously Im unsure about what it is:

1) Washed the glass thoroughly with a NON-wax shampoo. Im using car chem 1900:1 (leather oak scent is LUSH btw). Rinsed off but left the glass wet.

2) Used my clay cloth on the glass until it was smooth. There was slight roughness upon doing the plastic bag test.

3) Used Astonish Car glass cleaner with anti fog

4) Used Autosmart Glass Glow polish with an applicator sponge on the windscreen and removed with a microfiber

5) Applied rain x to the windscreen

Also a note about RAIN X. I get a lot of comments from people about glare, smearing and what not. I can't stress enough that this is due to poor application of the product and not the product itself. 

Here is the process for applying rain x properly:

1) Make sure the glass is clean - this means use a GLASS POLISH and not just a glass CLEANER. Glass cleaners contain nothing but ammonia or isopropyl alcohol. These will remove grease and minor dirt. However, tree sap, diesel crap and other hard wearing gunk will remain bonded to the glass. Something like Autosmart Glass glow or Autoglym Glass polish is what you want to remove the film your glass has on it.

2) Apply rain X to a KITCHEN ROLL and buff over half the screen. You have to be extremely quick and thorough with this. Keep buffing for 1-2mins on each half (doesnt sound like much but its actually a long time when you're buffing continously). Finish in straight lines and then do the other half in exactly the same way. Wait for it to haze (2-5 mins) and then remove completely. The most common problem is applying too much causing intense glare at night.

3) Apply a second coat. This is to ensure there is even application and will prevent wiper skipping/juddering. Remove the haze with a microfibre.

4) Now here is where the trick lies - Use a glass cleaner (RAIN X's own weatherbeater is great for this) and buff it in until the glass is clear with no streaks. Then sprinkle some water on the glass and buff the water into the glass using a microfiber.

Now it shouldn't smear and you won't get the crazy glare that people get when they apply it in a weird way. Also ensure you clean the wiper blade with some glass cleaner as this can also cause smearing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PCM said:

Sounds lie a great Checklist, should it ever be needed.

If you don't have a glass cleaner to use on the haze, just remove the haze as you would a wax with a microfibre and then just wash the windscreen to remove the smears. Works just as well IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisKaye said:

I appreciate the thorough write up and the time you spent, thanks Rayaans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curiosity got the better of me when I nearly killed myself with glare on the motorway lol. Something had to be done and I guess ive found a solution :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links