Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Speeding Drivers Face Victim Levy

ifraz

Just seen this on BBC news website.

Motorists convicted of speeding may have to pay compensation for victims, the government has proposed. The plan, published on Monday, is one of several changes to the funding of victim support services. Motorists given a prison term or suspended sentence would pay £30 to a Home Office fund providing victim and witness compensation and support. Those fined for speeding or driving without insurance would face a levy of £5 or £10.

Full Article Here

Is this fair?? :huh:

Hmmm, i think the key point is drivers given a prison term or suspended sentence for the 30 quid...

Your not going to get that for 55mph in a 50 zone..

So I guess were talking about 'serious' incidents for that, but normal speeders would get an extra 5/10 quid.. which to me seems like another 'tax'..

I have to say, I'm a little confused, as it seems as if the goverment is saying driving without insurance is the same as a 'normal' speeding fine... which i personally disagree with, i think not having insurance is a much worse crime..

in other news, people who whistle off key in public can expect an on the spot fine from the new "tune wardens" recently appointed by the Chancellor.

Gordon Brown denied this was another stealth tax.

The Chancellor was quoted rubbing his hands together saying "You got to pick a pocket or two boy"

oliver_twist.jpg

I agree that more could be done to help & support the victims of crimes, but surely the financing of such support should come from the perpetrators?

If the intention is that an extra £5 or £10 on a speeding fine goes directly to helping victims of crimes comitted by speeding motorists, then ok - but I suspect that's not the case? You'll get nobbled doing 55mph in a 30 zone, pay an extra tenner & it'll go to helping a pensioner who was mugged by some youth... You're right, this is a "Victim Support Tax" and the long suffering motorist is just an easy target.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links