Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Top Idler Pulley Squeaky Thingy

Hi Guys so due to my mystery vsc light being still that a mystery I have decided to move on to the squeaky top idler pulley.

I have serched but am unable to find a guide to replacing it.. has anyone done it? Does it have to be done at the same time as the timing belt?

I have seen a post where someone had been living with the squeeling for 3 years but I feel like my cars in pain and I need to repair her.... so here I ask for your help and expertise. :flowers: if I may.

Also I was thinking of replacing the belt at the same time thought this bosch one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131510772767?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks again for your time guys

Allan

The idler pulley should only be replaced when the timing belt is replaced. There is little point in breaking down the front of the engine just to replace the pulley.

Try to stick with OEM parts when replacing them.

Hi

What mileage are you on? There are a few pulleys and tensioners at the drive belt and the timing belt.

Sounds like drive belt components to me but looks like you know what you are about...

Loads of guides that will get you to that area on cam belt changes etc. on my Year 2000 ls400 with only 72k genuine miles on the clock I replaced all pulleys, guides when doing a cambelt change. Many were worn/deteriorated.

I think if you are due a belt change then replace as much as you can.

I follow ambermarine on all things - although I do use quality OEM standard replacements in this area - not all areas as genuine parts may not be replicated such as gearbox oil, brake pads and even wiper blades...but I believe you will be OK. Some replacements are better than the original as improvements have been made.

I hope you share your journey with us....with that squeak...maybe other bits need sorting anyway?

A photo of the squaky thingy is always a pleasure to behold!

Hi Simon,

I think its running at 144k now, I picked it up on 142k but the trip home was 1800 miles(on 7 cylnders tough old birds these).

I don't have much in the way of paper work and nothing for the timing belt, although it was at some point pampered i belive by the look of some of the more expensive receipts are from a rolls garage.

But at sometime it fell into the hands of a muppet so It may need a timing belt I would like to do this myself tbh however it does seem a big job best saved for the summer or at least when I can get it into a garage.

I do have one more sqeek though its the drivers side rear coilover rubber mount but its looking mighty hard to get at without taking out the seat which i will have to do I guess. Seem to work on my van more than my car at the mo but her time will come :)

• Like 1

My mk4 was squeeling when I got it. A replacement tensioner pulley and idler pulley and new ancilliary drive belt cured it. Remember, there are TWO different tensioner and idler pulleys because you have two different belts to consider; i.e an Ancilliary drive belt for power steering, A/C compressor and alternator, then in addition you have the Cambelt with its own tensioner/idler pulleys. Squeeling is usually from the Ancilliary side of things.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Titch

sorry it didnt see your reply to the post.

The one i think thats sqeaking on mine is the top idler for the Ancilliary drive belt. But i was under the imprestion it could only be changed with the timing belt. If this isnt right and I can change it I will do as the noise kinda worries me tbh.

thanks

Skyway, the ancilliary drive belt and pulleys are fairly straight forward to replace. Just remember though that the tensioner for the ancilliary belt has a REVERSE thread. The idler pulley next to it is normal thread. I used a Gates belt on my LS. Replacing these items cured my car's squealing. Hope this helps.

Messi, mine had a lot of miles on, so I replaced the pulleys as well as the belt. When I took them both off, one felt quite rough when I spun it. Preventative maintenance. No squeaks since then (41K miles later).

HI guys and thanks again. I hope to be the proud owner of a non squeaking ls430 :)

I bought this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS400-LS430-97-07-DEFLECTION-GUIDE-PULLEY-V-RIBBED-BELT-IDLER-ROLLER-SET-/171708894523?hash=item27faa5cd3b:g:HTkAAOSwBLlU-dF~

I will pop some photos up of me bodging it on which you can all then poke fun at me :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links