Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Yeah I remember that thread. I'll tell you what lexus said to me, well first they didn't bother taking a photo to send to lexus uk, the guy at the dealer said they won't cover that, so I asked why not, he said because rust bubbles is caused by the screw in the number plate which had caused water to get in, so then I'm thinking why hasn't this happened to the screw on the right side of the number plate, and then he said its an ls430, it doesn't rust, so I had to correct him and told oh yes it does, on the front doors, he went all quiet then, so I called Lexus uk, spoke to nice lady by the name of eve, she told there is potential for a warranty claim there as it does rust around the number plate area. So what next, shall I go back to the dealers?

i can just about make out a brown rusty tint around the edge of my rear numberplate on my facelift 430.

i dont lexus would do anything about it becuase it was probably caused by the holes for the numberplate.

i think it was mentioned on this forum somewhere that lexus will only repair if the rust starts on the inside and works its way onto the outer skin

It is an anti rust perforation guarantee, no hole no claim.

Only after buying my '04 LS430 did I read about the door and boot horrors. Immediately had mine up on a lift, door cards and number plate off and borescope in voids of the wings and sills.

The photo shows the plastic stud holding the decorative 'chrome' strip in place on the inside of the door. The dribble running down is ACF-50 just applied to the outside the week before, so it does penetrate. [sorry, I need to reduce size of photo file before it will post here]

No rust whatsoever in doors, sills or wing voids. Just factory fresh sealant in the internal seams.

The plastic bolts holding the number plate screw into plastic bushes and there was no rust whatsoever. No metal screws self tapped into dealer drilled holes in the sheet metal which I feared.

Surface rust on the rear sub frame I treated and the only rust needing immediate action [but no where near perforation] was the outside under surface near the rear jacking points.

I have to give trying to upload the photo referred to above.

Although it is only 218Kb and apparently up to 2Mb will be accepted I get, 'File too big to upload'.

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

I have just noticed rust on the inside of my sunroof, it's fairly extensive there is also a little tiny bubble on the passenger door just below the chrome trim. Mines a430 on a 55 plate only 53k do you think these will be covered by rust warranty.

Cheers Colin

Graham,

When you say no hole no claim, what constitutes a hole surely the inside of my sunroof should be as new, the door is just a small bubble only noticeable close up.My 20 year old gs sport has none of these issues. Hopefully the local Lexus dealer will see how immaculate the car is in all other aspects and put things right. I would have thought if it were stone chips or the like causing the rust then there would be no claim to be had.

😕 Roll on Friday when take it in.

Colin,

I wish you well and do not want to be a prophet of doom but there have been a number of past reports on this forum about the appalling rusting of doors and boot lids on LS 430s.

These panels have been replaced by Lexus but where there has not been at least a pin hole they have tried to walk away on the grounds of no perforation.

There was a case where the rust was so bad it was conceded it was only a matter of time before perforation would have occurred and a remedy provided.

I have had the door cards off my '04 LS 430 and if you have even one bubble on yours I would advise you do the same.

Good luck on Friday and let us no how you get on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links