Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Finding A Headlight

I need to replace the osf headlight on my IS300 but all the ones I've found online have the orange indicator builtin whereas mine is completely clear. Where these option and if so does anyone have one for sale?

It's a completely different headlight for the 300. Different size, different mounting. Wings differ between 200's and 300's because of this also.

You need an IS300 headlight, a 200 headlight (with orange lense) is no good to you. The 300's didn't have the orange indicator lense, not optional this is just how 300 headlights are

IS200 headlight;

vxcl14.png

IS300 headlight;

ifykuw.jpg

Alongside the visual difference where the indicator is (the 200 had a rectangular orange filter which is separate from the chrome shroud - the 300 had a different shaped shroud, with no orange filter, but instead had an orange bulb, and the front lens has different patterning to disperse the light differently), the 300 headlights were also equipped with Xenon bulbs and ballasts. The ballasts fit into the bottom of the headlight housing, which means the housing itself is a different shape to accommodate this, and because the bulbs are different (D2R on the 300, HB4 on the 200), the back of the headlight is also different, with the low beam bulb not being visible as it's covered by a large cap rather than the bulb sticking out the back of the headlight. Now, if you look closely at the two headlights above, you'll see the ridge pattern in the low beam reflector is different - the 200 has many ridges, the 300 has less. This is to counter the amount of light thrown upwards with the more powerful Xenon bulbs that came as standard on the 300.

In terms of fitting, there's conflicting advice as to whether the wings themselves differ between the 200 and 300 - some say they do, others say they don't. I guess I won't know for sure without having one of each car next to me, and I try swapping the lights out on both. But what is certain is that the panel beneath the headlight is a different shape, to allow room for the ballast fitted to the 300 headlight, and the mounting points in the wheel arch are slightly different too. (it's worth noting at this point, that the late model IS200 LE's also had Xenon equipped headlights. I'm pretty sure they were actually IS300 headlights, and that means they also have the chassis differences noted above)

Here's some images of the differences between 200 and 300 headlights;

This is the back of a 300 headlight;

rcn1xd.png

And the back of a standard 200 headlight;

27wzsaw.png

Notice where the low beam bulb goes, the housing is extended on the 300 headlight, in order to fully encase bulb inside it when the cap is on.

Here you can see the insert/shroud of a 300 headlight - both with an without the indicator bulb filter (not the best pic - this is someone spraying theirs black);

2rdbzpv.png

2dhebfa.png

This is the insert/shroud and orange filter from a 200 headlight. You can see the indicator area is a completely different shape, as is the filter;

29z3ntk.jpg

And this is the bare front lens of a 200 headlight, where you can see the difference in the patterning in the indicator area;

346pa1l.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think the IS300 has a completely clear, pattern free, front lens, and the indicator light dispersal is taken care of by the internal clear "filter" that has the patterning on it. The 200 outer lens has a slightly ribbed section (inside) where the orange filter lines up with, and above and below has a dimpled effect (inside) that allows you to see the chrome inside, but doesn't highlight it.

And this is an IS200 LE with what looks to me to be the same headlights as an IS300 - http://www.evansautos.co.uk/files/7713/9533/9497/A_2.JPG

So there you go, there are more differences than meet the eye between 200 and 300 headlights.

As for the original question, you're looking at either eBay or breakers really. At least with this info you have a better chance while sifting through eBay as most of the listings say the lights are for both 200 and 300 when they actually aren't. Your other bet is this guy;

w6qomb.png

Wow thanks for the huge amount of information. That's an impressive knowledge. Given the suggested cost of a new one I think I'll start giving some breakers a call!!

Thanks everyone.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links